• 3 Post By 642mx
  • 1 Post By Drew
  • 2 Post By Kefurr

Thread: Need help/advice on faded graphics

PBN User
    2003 Baja Outlaw 25

Ignore User

Need help/advice on faded graphics

I just purchased a 2003 Baja 25 Outlaw and the graphics are faded. They seem to be painted onto the boat. Also, I see in some places the gel coat is gone or I should very thin. Need your advice on how to fix it?
    I was also considering a vinyl wrap for the boat to make my Baja unique from the hundreds of others on the water here.
    Thanks for the advice and helps I included a couple pics that sorta show the fading if you can zoom in a little

IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2526.jpg

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Graphics are in the gel. Detail shop can restore it. Worse case would require it to be wet sanded with 800 or so and the polished back up form there.
    Kefurr likes this.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Below the rail the word Baja is a "decal", everything else is in the gelcoat. You can compound and buff but the only way to really restore the color is to wet sand first. Several of us have experience and we all have our favorite products but 642MX Matt is a restoration expert. He can refer you to step by step instructions he's posted on PBN if you can't find it searching. The "Baja" and "25 Outlaw" stickers can be replaced. Peel them off with a hair drier and plastic blade if they're chipped. The rest gets wet sanded. It will look brand new.

You've got some of the coolest graphics and colors for Baja. Why cover them up?

Wraps are pricey and fragile and won't last long if you store the boat outside.
    Kefurr and 92nsx like this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    You've got some of the coolest graphics and colors for Baja. Why cover them up?
    ^^^^^ This right here

2000 Baja Hammer

Ignore User
    Here ya go; DIY: How to Machine Polish Gelcoat

What you're seeing is oxidation on top of the gel coat. It's easy to fix, just super time consuming. When I started the above thread, I didn't own a detailing business (but started one shortly after, I do detailing on the weekends and work a full time job as an auto tech during the week). Read through the thread, you may want to try to tackle this yourself. A few bought buffers and products after reading this and had excellent results!

If you choose to have a Pro do it for you, be prepared to pay for quality work. I charge $30/foot for a 3 step (compound, polish, and choice of wax or sealant). If it needs wet sanded, I charge $40/foot. If a local guy tells you $10 or $15 a foot, walk away. Guys who know what they're doing aren't afraid to charge a premium.

As always, if you have questions, ask away!!
    hook'em, Kefurr and 92nsx like this.
    Higher Maintenance

Hydrosteam, velocity, fountain

Ignore User
    Wet sand with 1500. Then polish. Then finess then wax. It would shine like new

Hydrosteam, velocity, fountain

Ignore User
    IMG_0059.jpg 1985 looks like new after that
    Slandrew likes this.

PBN User
    2003 Baja Outlaw 25

Ignore User
    All advice is welcome. Thanks for the guys who have already responded

Bayou Baja / Boss 272

Ignore User
    everyone is going to have an opinion, Matt (642MX) is a high end detailer but only part time, he has never lead me down the wrong path when it comes to detailing a boat or car and is willing to help anyone. before I started wet sanding I would try Matt's three step process on an area and see what the results are, once you start wet sanding you are COMMITTED there no stopping point except maybe the rub rail.
    if the three step process works in a test area then be prepared to buy a quality buffer to do the complete boat, it makes a huge difference! if you do a test area and the results are good but its more than you want to do I can put you in touch with a Guy here in Biloxi that like Matt does quality work and can be trusted
    642mx and hook'em like this.