Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Holley EFI to NMEA-2000 Network Gateway

1995 Ultimate Warlock 210 LXI "Duramax Diesel" - 1992 Team Warlock 38' Express Cat "Powertrain TBD"

Ignore User

Holley EFI to NMEA-2000 Network Gateway

Well since I'm a member, and have a useful product, hopefully this fits here. I'll gladly leave reviewing or recommendation to others.

A few months ago some members on another site challenged me to create a device that would allow them to connect their Holley EFI fueled engines to modern chart plotters and networked gauges. Known as a "Gateway," it converts ECM comm data to the correct format readable by digital displays. In this case the latest and greatest NMEA protocol. There is several existing gateways out there that do analog to digital, Smartcraft to NMEA 2000, and others specifically built for high end setups. But nothing around to handle the most popular aftermarket marine fuel injection options. While Holley recently released their own display after long relying on RacePak, neither display is what you would call "boat friendly." So I put on my little black hacker cap and started working out the details. Teamed up with a super smart guy who specializes in embedded electronics, and turned out what we believe is a pretty sweet little unit.

All modern marine and automotive node communication is based on CAN [controller area networking]. Compared to my normal IP networking duties, it's pretty simple stuff. Holley and other laptop tunable ECU units have CAN capabilities built in. To sweeten the pot, the HEFI ECM's have room for multiple analog inputs. So how about adding the drive and trim tab readings into the same data stream you might ask? Done deal.. Maybe add a USB port and Bluetooth connectivity so you can data log the engines on your phone or PC, why not we said. Stuffing it all in a tiny IP67 case while costing less than a tank of fuel, Priceless... Ok enough jokes, but it is one of the coolest things I've whipped up since Al Gore and I invented the Internet.

Here is what it currently does, and can be easily updated as needed. So if you run Holley or another ECU that needs connected to a new style plotter or gauges, hit me up with a PM for more info. Our first production run is only 10 units, which 5 are spoken for. After those get tested we'll see how this pans out and look at adding other options to the firmware.

• Dip Switch Selectable, Port / Starboard Engine N2k Addressing
    • Power Switchable BTLE Modem
    • RPM - Rapid Updates 10Hz
    • Boost - Rapid Updates 10Hz
    • Fuel Pressure - 1Hz Updates
    • Fuel Flow Rate / GPH - 1Hz Updates
    • Coolant Temp - 1Hz Updates
    • Oil Pressure - 1Hz Updates
    • TPS / Engine Load - 1Hz Updates
    • Alternator Voltage - 1Hz Updates
    • Drive Position via HEFI Aux Input - Rapid Updates 10Hz
    • Trim Tabs Position via HEFI Aux Inputs - 1Hz Updates

GW3.JPG

GW1.JPG

GW2.JPG

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    This looks fantastic KT! I have been using a first gen Mercmonitor to translate and port Smartcraft to NEMA 2000 but it is lacking. It does not port all information (fuel flow rate) even though the data is there and these things cost a fortune. If you ever want to beild a better SC to NEMA box put me down for your first one.

Great work.

Dan

PBN Charter Member

Ignore User
    I didn't understand a thing you said but I wish you success just the same. I'm an old school carb guy.

1995 Ultimate Warlock 210 LXI "Duramax Diesel" - 1992 Team Warlock 38' Express Cat "Powertrain TBD"

Ignore User
    Thanks Sonic. Yours costs allot more, that's all you need to know... LOL.

Basically to get all the gauge info from your Carb motor into a modern plotter, you would use a Analog to Digital gateway. Converts the sensor voltage values like water temp, oil pressure, intake pressure, and RPM into digital data values that is sent in a language the displays can read. On a modern fuel injected engine, the actual sensors are very similar, but the ECU [fuel injection computer] uses this info to adjust fueling and timing on the fly. Kinda like the power valve in a carb, and vacuum advance for timing. So now it knows what your water temp is, and can easily pass that data to say your cars dash instrument cluster as "digital" values rather than old style voltage values. All easy enough right?? Ford, GM, Dodge and all auto manufactures use this kinda setup now. But the big issue in a marine environment is equal to Ford speaking English, Holley EFI speaking French, Mercruiser speaking Spanish, and the NEMA 2000 displays speaks Swahili. Which ain't far fetched when you try to finding details on N2k... So this little box is stuffed with a very tiny translator.

Dan, I just remotely helped an OSO member do a Smartcraft to N2k rigging last month. So I know what you mean. What version MEFI ECM's are in your boat? Someone else recently ask me to do a custom gateways for MEFI 4 setup in a race boat.
    Last edited by kidturbo; 06-04-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    sonicss31 likes this.

Ignore User
    Turbo, I am running a 496 with the 555 ECM. I am assuming that is a generation newer than the MEFI setups.

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kidturbo View Post
    Well since I'm a member, and have a useful product, hopefully this fits here. I'll gladly leave reviewing or recommendation to others.

A few months ago some members on another site challenged me to create a device that would allow them to connect their Holley EFI fueled engines to modern chart plotters and networked gauges. Known as a "Gateway," it converts ECM comm data to the correct format readable by digital displays. In this case the latest and greatest NMEA protocol. There is several existing gateways out there that do analog to digital, Smartcraft to NMEA 2000, and others specifically built for high end setups. But nothing around to handle the most popular aftermarket marine fuel injection options. While Holley recently released their own display after long relying on RacePak, neither display is what you would call "boat friendly." So I put on my little black hacker cap and started working out the details. Teamed up with a super smart guy who specializes in embedded electronics, and turned out what we believe is a pretty sweet little unit.

All modern marine and automotive node communication is based on CAN [controller area networking]. Compared to my normal IP networking duties, it's pretty simple stuff. Holley and other laptop tunable ECU units have CAN capabilities built in. To sweeten the pot, the HEFI ECM's have room for multiple analog inputs. So how about adding the drive and trim tab readings into the same data stream you might ask? Done deal.. Maybe add a USB port and Bluetooth connectivity so you can data log the engines on your phone or PC, why not we said. Stuffing it all in a tiny IP67 case while costing less than a tank of fuel, Priceless... Ok enough jokes, but it is one of the coolest things I've whipped up since Al Gore and I invented the Internet.

Here is what it currently does, and can be easily updated as needed. So if you run Holley or another ECU that needs connected to a new style plotter or gauges, hit me up with a PM for more info. Our first production run is only 10 units, which 5 are spoken for. After those get tested we'll see how this pans out and look at adding other options to the firmware.

• Dip Switch Selectable, Port / Starboard Engine N2k Addressing
    • Power Switchable BTLE Modem
    • RPM - Rapid Updates 10Hz
    • Boost - Rapid Updates 10Hz
    • Fuel Pressure - 1Hz Updates
    • Fuel Flow Rate / GPH - 1Hz Updates
    • Coolant Temp - 1Hz Updates
    • Oil Pressure - 1Hz Updates
    • TPS / Engine Load - 1Hz Updates
    • Alternator Voltage - 1Hz Updates
    • Drive Position via HEFI Aux Input - Rapid Updates 10Hz
    • Trim Tabs Position via HEFI Aux Inputs - 1Hz Updates

GW3.JPG

GW1.JPG

GW2.JPG
    how about tracking water pressure, oil temp, intake temp, not sure how many items you are set up for. Great idea btw

Ignore User
    Depends on how many I/O spares you have open on the ECU, and what display setup your running. The Holley HP has 4 or 5 spares by default that can be configured for 5v sensors. In the first firmware version we did I/0 pin #1 for drive angle, pin # 2, 3 for trim tabs when GW is set as Engine 1.. In twins mode, only looks for Pin # 1 drive angle on Engine 2. That's to avoid conflicts of too many trim-tabs on the display.

However after testing on the first boat, using a loaner Garmin 700 to play with, we noticed the layout was more suited to including oil temp, and water pressure on those spare inputs. On the new Raymarine [which is on backorder], or a Simrad that layout might be different. So adding oil temp, water pressure, and charge temp, would be easy enough by just moving the 2 tabs off to a separate analog/digital gateway unit. It's just a simple firmware change, and configuring the Holley ECU to match what the GW expects to see from pins 1-5...

My problem is finding someone closer running a Holley ECU to test such changes on. Currently working with delsol, he's up in Windsor, just a 5hr drive...

Ignore User
    Finished up testing with the Holley / Racepak version prototypes. Looking like a pretty solid plug and play setup. First batch of PCB boards is on order, they should arrive in about 30 days. Pricing will be around $275, and few dollars more for the Bluetooth version when ready. Trying to piece a small site together with proper details on them. Marine Mods - Tips, Tricks & Tools

What was really cool during our testing, seeing engine trim levels on the plotter and knowing they were being read as an auxiliary sensor converted by the ECU. No separate displays or extra converters involved. Plus you can calibrate the actual trim level shown based on the input voltage within the Holley ECU config. Fine tuning zero / +/- to where you like it. This test boat is using those new Livorsi trim cable to digital converters, feeding a 5v signal into the ECU. They're also wired in line with a new Drive Sync control unit. Another pretty cool pieces alone. But when all connected together with only 3 wires, it's gonna be a very sweeeet setup...

Anyways someone please find me a MEFI or other popular ECU to hack on. I've got more of these gateways coming than actual Holley ECU's floating out there in boats. So need something else to convert. Smartcraft looks pretty much out of the question for right now. Sorry Dan, it's a Merc thing. Was told I should probably move to China first, or become indigent..
    BajaDan likes this.

Bayou Baja / Boss 272

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kidturbo View Post
    Finished up testing with the Holley / Racepak version prototypes. Looking like a pretty solid plug and play setup. First batch of PCB boards is on order, they should arrive in about 30 days. Pricing will be around $275, and few dollars more for the Bluetooth version when ready. Trying to piece a small site together with proper details on them. Marine Mods - Tips, Tricks & Tools

What was really cool during our testing, seeing engine trim levels on the plotter and knowing they were being read as an auxiliary sensor converted by the ECU. No separate displays or extra converters involved. Plus you can calibrate the actual trim level shown based on the input voltage within the Holley ECU config. Fine tuning zero / +/- to where you like it. This test boat is using those new Livorsi trim cable to digital converters, feeding a 5v signal into the ECU. They're also wired in line with a new Drive Sync control unit. Another pretty cool pieces alone. But when all connected together with only 3 wires, it's gonna be a very sweeeet setup...

Anyways someone please find me a MEFI or other popular ECU to hack on. I've got more of these gateways coming than actual Holley ECU's floating out there in boats. So need something else to convert. Smartcraft looks pretty much out of the question for right now. Sorry Dan, it's a Merc thing. Was told I should probably move to China first, or become indigent..
    If you get a MEFI 3 would it be usable/stock once you are done testing ?

Ignore User
    Yes. It's only needed to verify the CAN data format.
    To do this it's best if you have a running engine for logging. If unavailable, one can simply use an ECU, harness, and few sensors to replicate a running engine. The ECU doesn't know that it isn't actually attached to anything.

Ignore User
    HEFI-N2k-GW.jpg

First batch of Holley EFI gateways are done and shipped out to everyone who pre-ordered them. We built a dozen extras to keep on hand.

Started working on MegaSquirt, GMLAN, and J1939 software versions this week. The GMLAN versions will cover the newer LS and Duramax, with gauge output to N2k or J1939 displays. Something that covers more than just marine swaps... Also created a website with hardware details, and easier way to order them.
    MarineMods.US - Tips, Tricks, & Tools

-K
    BajaDan likes this.

Ignore User
    Congratulations Kid! We can say we knew you before you were gazillionaire. And even if not that, you've got a cool product.

PBN User

Ignore User
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gia taxi noi bai giá 150k| mẫu sofa đẹp |Dịch vụ ep coc be tong gia re

Ignore User
    Thanks for the bump.
    Now off with your head for spamming this thread...

36 4 Seat Canopy Skater

Ignore User
    Cool deal, I like.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Hi are there any available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PBN User

Ignore User
    I have a 1999 sea ray 330 with twin 7.4 mercruiser engines. I believe they are EFI 3. I am not electronically inclined like you but I'm pretty sure I can plug and play lol

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rube740 View Post
    I have a 1999 sea ray 330 with twin 7.4 mercruiser engines. I believe they are EFI 3. I am not electronically inclined like you but I'm pretty sure I can plug and play lol
    We haven't tackled the MEFI ecm's yets because they didn't use a CAN data format. The earlier ones only used serial data communications up to like version 5, so our current gateway hardware isn't compatible. I've had a couple people ask about doing MEFI 5 and 6, hope to get on those this spring. Right now I'm wrapping up a GM Duramax and LS gateway version.

-K
    Last edited by kidturbo; 01-03-2016 at 08:36 PM.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Thanks. And great job making these thing. Many will be happy

Ignore User

GMLAN - Duramax - LS

Completed the GMLAN - N2k gateway and have one on a boat testing right now. Below is screenshot from that Duramax version, should work on LS engines also.

Next up is the AEM ECU model for a customers Skater, and then maybe a Cosworth version by mid summer.

screen3.jpg

screen5.jpg

GMLAN-Demo-Data_ALL-6.jpg
    Wobble and Kefurr like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast