Thread: Bravo 1 Ram seal kit

PBN Charter Member
    2002 25' Outlaw

Ignore User

Bravo 1 Ram seal kit

Any DIY people removed the B1 rams and installed a new seal kit???? Any problems I might look for before I begin this project ? The ram will not go down, even when standing on it!!!!

Thanks---Mike Tampa Bay !!!!

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    That is one thing I haven't done Mike. But I imagine you still have fluid in it and may be pushing against a check valve. I will try to find a schematic of those rams. The ram is totally off the boat I assume from your post? I would assume that the check valves are in the pump, but you know what they say about assumptions.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    No check valves in the rams. Only pressure relief (bypass) valves. There is nothing inside a normal ram that should prevent it from moving back and forth when the lines are disconnected.

PBN User
    28' Bertram (Water Therapy), 22' Velocity (And Take Your Money), 21' Sea Ox (Fowl Attitude)

Ignore User
    My buddy did it on his with no issues but everyone said it couldn't be done or would last. His has held up for 10 years now.

PBN Charter Member
    2002 25' Outlaw

Ignore User
    Thanks to the both of you guys !!!! The rams are still on the boat----Did some reading and I learned that the seal kits are in the end of the ram cylinder ,in a screw end cap. The seals (rubber) with a metal clip get old and swell and they either leak fluid or lock the ram bar up tight. Mine is locked up---I reversed the fluid lines on the pump and it will go down...Reverse them again and it will come up...But trying to go down again w/out changing the lines won't work..........I can buy the seal kits for 30 bucks each side without the new end caps... I might as well try...You-Tube has a video on doing this job on a Alpha drive!!! But the video does not show you much........Wish me luck--Ill do it this week and report back AND hope it will last 10 years like cdail28590 reports......

Thanks---Mike Tampa Bay

PBN Charter Member
    2002 25' Outlaw

Ignore User
    OK........The tuff part is banging out the screw caps from the rod....not a big deal.....They now have screw caps all with the insides built.......They were about 95 bucks each side.....easy to install....Also I boat in salt water so that may be why they were hard to bang off...Anyone need helpt me know!!!!! (don't loose the ball bearings in the bottom valve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Also I just re-uped my membership 0.99 cents... is this correct ????? OR is it 9.99 0r 15.99??????
    Mike-----Tampa Bay