• 1 Post By sonicss31
  • 1 Post By Jbraun2828
  • 1 Post By RUNNINHOTRACING163.1
  • 2 Post By Slandrew

Thread: Watch out for snakes!

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User

Watch out for snakes!

Im really not wanting to compete with Runninhotracing on hospital visits, but.....
    Anyways kids got home from school and were out playing in the backyard. I was messing around in the garage and my 9 year old daughter came running in screaming she had gotten bit by a snake, and had blood running down her foot. I was asking here where, and she showed me while i grabbed a shovel.
    I was having a hard time finding it til it started striking at me! Freakin huge pigmy rattlesnake was coiling up and striking crazy fast! No time to try to chop its head off so it got a full smack from the shovel and got dead real quick!!
    Fast forward thru all the chaos getting to the hospital and all. We made it to ER about 40 minutes after the bite.(we live out in the country, about 10 minutes from a town and 30ish minutes from a hospital.)
    They got her right in, and the front desk nurse didnt really like that i brought the snake with me in an ice cream bucket!
    They got a line in, took some blood and gave her some drugs to help with the pain.
    It was hurting her pretty bad and her foot was starting to swell. They said that they needed to observe for at least 6 hours, so here we are. Seems that it may have been a "dry" bite, meaning the snake was too stupid to pump any venom when it bit, hopefully this is the case!
    They aren't thinking that we will need the anti-venom, crofab. That stuff comes with a nice $50k price tag and a several day stay in icu and a trip to Children's Hospital in OKC.
    We are optimistic and its looking good (or not much worse) at this time!
    I guess best case, she will be in pain for a while.
    Supposedly those pigmys run in pairs, so i need to find the other one!
    Just glad i left work early today and was at home when it happened!
    I hate seeing my baby like this! Luckily with the morphine, its not really bothering her much right now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Watch out for snakes!-1504930020138.jpg   Watch out for snakes!-1504930036344.jpg   Watch out for snakes!-1504930056604.jpg   Watch out for snakes!-1504930303370.jpg  

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Prayers for your baby (and mom/dad) Miller. Bless her heart. It must have been a dry bite or you'd know by now for sure. I'm skeered of snakes, poor baby bless her heart.
    MillerTime likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

29 outlaw

Ignore User
    Dyamm , poor kiddo. Prayers for your daughter .
    MillerTime likes this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    Thanks guys! I think it worked!
    We got to leave about 24:00. She just woke up, in some pain and still swollen.
    Fixin to go get prescriptions filled.
    We got real lucky! Thank God!
    Slandrew and hook'em like this.

Ignore User
    Prayers for your lil girl Luke , hope she is doing well and pain is under control . I hate snakes as well & good thing you were home to respond FAST ...
    Slandrew and MillerTime like this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    Here it is now at 10:15. It looks worse but i guess it will for a while. Docs said they have seen it get bad at the 12-18 hour area, but by 24 hours we should be safe.
    It happened at 16:40 yesterday, so we are optimistic and hoping for the best!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Watch out for snakes!-1504970431280.jpg  
    hook'em and kidturbo like this.

Hydrosteam, velocity, fountain

Ignore User
    Only thing we have up north in NY is skeeters.... scary stuff . Hope all is well
    MillerTime likes this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    Back in ER. Symptoms were progressing so we just got to Children's Hospital in OKC.
    This is kinda freaky crap....

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    MillerTime likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

1995 Ultimate Warlock 210 LXI "Duramax Diesel" - 1992 Team Warlock 38' Express Cat "Powertrain TBD"

Ignore User
    Good call on Childrens. Rattlesnakes bites can act a lot like bee stings when it comes to how different people react.

When I lived in Punta Gorda I had a couple friends who raised all types of nasty ass snakes for venom. One of them got bit by a big timber rattler and blew it off since he'd been hit by rattlers multiple times before. Didn't effect him for almost 24 hrs. Then his wife came home to find him unconscious. Woke up 5 days later in the hospital. Same guy that told me the bee sting comparison.

Your right on to have her somewhere they will monitor her closely.
    MillerTime likes this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    @01:20 we started getting the anti-venom crofab.
    We got a doc that just got back from a training seminar on snake bites. I guess all the info we got last night was a "little" off.
    I guess the rattlesnake venom reacts different than copperhead and cotton mouth/water moccasin venom. And i guess the pigmy venom is maybe a little different from other rattlers?
    Well hopefully we get her feelin better soon!
    Here's a pic from about 22:00 this evening
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Watch out for snakes!-1505025489939.jpg   Watch out for snakes!-1505025476263.jpg  

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    6 vials of crofab and more morphine. Best case, 6 more vials, but maybe 12 over the next 24ish hours. Supposedly its about $10k a vial, .....that snake is gonna make a REALLY expensive pair of boots!
    Poor baby has been in a lot of pain. We got a good Doc....he said she should have gotten the anti venom last night. So we definitely did NOT have a dry bite. He said she got a bunch of venom.
    Im so pissed about going to the first hospital, and they are supposed to be the ones that treat the most snake bites.

PBN Charter Member

Ignore User
    So sad. I hope she gets better soon. Hate when our kids get hurt.
    MillerTime likes this.

04 Top Gun

Ignore User
    Wow that's crazy, sad to see your little girl in pain. I freaking hate snakes more than anything. Hopefully she recovers quickly
    MillerTime likes this.

Ignore User
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery Bro ..hope she's feeling better
    MillerTime likes this.

Ignore User
    Get well soon!I hate snakes also &Lawyers!
    92nsx and MillerTime like this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    We are getting discharged now. Have to go back tomorrow for blood test and then pretty much every other day for at least next week to check platelets and other coagulation related stuff in blood (im pretty sure that's the gist of it). They said the pigmy venom can reactivate or something to that effect.
    These little critters are bad news!!

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    We are getting discharged now. Have to go back tomorrow for blood test and then pretty much every other day for at least next week to check platelets and other coagulation related stuff in blood (im pretty sure that's the gist of it). They said the pigmy venom can reactivate or something to that effect.
    These little critters are bad news!!
    WOWZERS ...thank god you were there to react and get her to the ER

1995 Ultimate Warlock 210 LXI "Duramax Diesel" - 1992 Team Warlock 38' Express Cat "Powertrain TBD"

Ignore User
    Good to hear she's home. Hope everything continues to improve.

When you was saying how much they get for antivenom, I could only imagine the markup %. Know my buddies didn't get anywhere near that for milking, and living with a house full of poisonous snakes. Someone down the line is sure making some jack on the supply / demand side..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk