Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Drew
  • 1 Post By Slandrew
  • 2 Post By Hardin Marine
  • 2 Post By Drew

Thread: Corrosion on my headers.

Ignore User

Corrosion on my headers.

I'm pretty sure this is an indicator that I have to replace my headers. All 4 look like this. No leakage yet but it looks like I'm pulling the motors this winter. BTW they are Mercruiser 540 blocks with B&M Blowers running 5psi of boost. Boat is a 33 Powerplay sport deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F-2 Speed Racer

Ignore User
    fresh water or salt, what I'm seeing is not uncommon, pull them off clean em up and pressure test them to about 20 psi

Ignore User
    Salt water. Not easy to pull without pulling at least one motor

Hydrosteam, velocity, fountain

Ignore User
    Corrosion on my headers.-img_1641.jpg you should get these. Buy the manifolds then mock up custom pipes. Yours have been made taller already so your going to have to send them one made of pvc or something like that
    Slandrew likes this.

Ignore User
    Look at the price difference. This is for one side of one motor Corrosion on my headers.-img_1642.jpg

Ignore User
    Go with stainless marine good productAsk him!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corrosion on my headers.-part_1502985266492_1502985266692-2-.jpg   Corrosion on my headers.-part_1502985304473_1502985304549-2-.jpg  
    BajaDan likes this.

PBN Commercial Member

Ignore User
    Well I guess the good news is that exhaust system lasted over 20 years because those are the earliest versions of Gils maybe 25 years back when they used freeze plugs. Today those manifolds have welded core plugs. You can buy replacements manifolds for only $1899 Big Block Chevy Gil Replacement Manifolds - Mercury Plumbing - Hardin Marine and be back on the water in couple hours and have another quarter century of reliability. Or before you go ans spend $3500 on a different brand you could buy a system with similar construction and superior internal manifold design for a much less Hardin Marine - Seaward "Bravo HP" Series Big Block Chevrolet Exhaust System either way you've got lots or good options but you can't help but appreciate an original performance exhaust system that lasted over 20 years.
    Slandrew and hook'em like this.

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardin Marine View Post
    Well I guess the good news is that exhaust system lasted over 20 years because those are the earliest versions of Gils maybe 25 years back when they used freeze plugs. Today those manifolds have welded core plugs. You can buy replacements manifolds for only $1899 Big Block Chevy Gil Replacement Manifolds - Mercury Plumbing - Hardin Marine and be back on the water in couple hours and have another quarter century of reliability. Or before you go ans spend $3500 on a different brand you could buy a system with similar construction and superior internal manifold design for a much less Hardin Marine - Seaward "Bravo HP" Series Big Block Chevrolet Exhaust System either way you've got lots or good options but you can't help but appreciate an original performance exhaust system that lasted over 20 years.
    Hang on a minute . That is bill mauffs old boat from WHM. It sat in his building for 10 years....or longer....so they didn't really last as long as you say....Corrosion on my headers.-img_0313.jpg but I do agree it's easier to just change out manifolds with what's there. I don't agree with keeping pipes. It's like using a used condom
    Last edited by Drew; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:44 PM.
    speicher lane and Slandrew like this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by boats4life1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is an indicator that I have to replace my headers. All 4 look like this. No leakage yet but it looks like I'm pulling the motors this winter. BTW they are Mercruiser 540 blocks with B&M Blowers running 5psi of boost. Boat is a 33 Powerplay sport deck.

She could probably help ya.

Corrosion on my headers.-dfa23190bda6e54a89a5c8f7758809edb7a07661eeb734308ed693ea5e88202e.jpg

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Hang on a minute . That is bill mauffs old boat from WHM. It sat in his building for 10 years....or longer....so they didn't really last as long as you say....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	66593 but I do agree it's easier to just change out manifolds with what's there. I don't agree with keeping pipes. It's like using a used condom
    I've got a set of original Gil's that were on my 502 when I bought it 17 years ago.... So there's that.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........