Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By hook'em
  • 2 Post By Short-Bus
  • 1 Post By kidturbo
  • 2 Post By 92nsx
  • 1 Post By BajaDan
  • 2 Post By kidturbo
  • 1 Post By rschap1
  • 1 Post By 92nsx
  • 4 Post By 92nsx

Thread: Exhaust turndown tips

  1. #1
    PBN Charter Member 92nsx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Clearwater, Mn
    Posts
    1,950
    33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's


    Ignore User

    Exhaust turndown tips

    Well as some of you know I am fabbing up some turndown exhaust tips. I know It sucks to have to quiet it down.

    Couple questions.
    Should be tip or bottom be cut at a angle upwards like Gibsons? I cant really see water forcing the way up the pipe wile moving off plane If so what angle you think? .


    Also how far in the water should they be? With the 33 sitting in the water, the water line is just above the top of the drive shower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exhaust turndown tips-1502139337463.jpg  

  2. #2
    PBN User Drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Long Island new york
    Posts
    418
    Hydrosteam, velocity, fountain


    Ignore User
    If you ran silent choice it would exit out the prop way lower then water line. I think if you flat cut. ( not sliced bologna ) mid transom you would hAve no issues. I actually thought about making a set. Then I realized I don't give a shit who I piss off. If you don't like the sound chances are I will not like you anyway. As far as police. I got plenty of cards and friends with county marine police. ....
    Last edited by Drew; 08-08-2017 at 05:39 PM.

  3. #3
    PBN Charter Member hook'em's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    10,935
    Boss 272/502


    Ignore User
    Pretty sure those MN tree hugger water cop rules don't allow switchable exhaust.

    No I dea on the cut style Rob. I guess my only thought would be when you're setting her down off plane trying to minimize the possibility you might "scoop" water into them if the end is angled the right direction. Same goes with length, I'd think, the longer they are the quicker they come into contact with the water and at a higher rate of speed. Just thinking out loud. Nice work but man those fuggers are ugly/suck.

    Edit: Where is the water line at rest relative to the swim deck mounts?
    Last edited by hook'em; 08-08-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    Kefurr and 92nsx like this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

    Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

  4. #4
    PBN Charter Member Kefurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    D'Iberville MS
    Posts
    3,118
    Bayou Baja / Boss 272


    Ignore User
    Is the plan for theses "great looking" turn downs to be in or out of the water when on plane running?
    I think the state of Minnesota contributes greatly to the sale of trawlers and sailboats????????

  5. #5
    PBN Charter Member Short-Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,681
    F-2 Speed Racer


    Ignore User
    my 33 OL came off of lake minnetonka and had mufflers, 86db compatible no problems, no need to shove the pipes in the water.........but laws change

  6. #6
    PBN User Drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Long Island new york
    Posts
    418
    Hydrosteam, velocity, fountain


    Ignore User
    Maybe move......lol.

  7. #7
    PBN Charter Member 92nsx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Clearwater, Mn
    Posts
    1,950
    33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's


    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    If you ran silent choice it would exit out the prop way lower then water line. I think if you flat cut. ( not sliced bologna ) mid transom you would hAve no issues. I actually thought about making a set. Then I realized I don't give a shit who I piss off. If you don't like the sound chances are I will not like you anyway. As far as police. I got plenty of cards and friends with county marine police. ....
    No switchable exhaust. it is considered a cutout
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    Pretty sure those MN tree hugger water cop rules don't allow switchable exhaust.

    No I dea on the cut style Rob. I guess my only thought would be when you're setting her down off plane trying to minimize the possibility you might "scoop" water into them if the end is angled the right direction. Same goes with length, I'd think, the longer they are the quicker they come into contact with the water and at a higher rate of speed. Just thinking out loud. Nice work but man those fuggers are ugly/suck.

    Edit: Where is the water line at rest relative to the swim deck mounts?
    I would say it is at the bottom mount of the swim deck. But yes wondering about the "scooping" effect, or am I just over looking it

    Exhaust turndown tips-1500183347419.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Kefurr View Post
    Is the plan for theses "great looking" turn downs to be in or out of the water when on plane running?
    I think the state of Minnesota contributes greatly to the sale of trawlers and sailboats????????
    In water wile at idle, out of water wile on plane. It is one way around the law. But they can also make you do a "fly bay test". That equates into a WOT pass with in 50 foot of there boat . There I would call my Southern lawyer JB's Law Firm and he would explain how unsafe that is to preform, putting lives in unnecessary danger, boats need to maintaine at XXX distance away form each other and no matter what the operator is responsible for his or her own wake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Short-Bus View Post
    my 33 OL came off of lake minnetonka and had mufflers, 86db compatible no problems, no need to shove the pipes in the water.........but laws change
    Send me those mufflers and would be proud to sport them . They belong back in MN! I will give you mad props for them!!

    Turndown's are just cheaper then mufflers and suppose the have no performance loss. I'm into these for less then $130 on the project. Have you price out mufflers!!! They are crazy!! It would be over $1200! Also I have short tips (maybe 2" before the internal flapper), so I cant make something like GGB's inserts work. (it is what Charles uses to pass the libtards state law)

    Yes at Minnetonka they will also hammer you on noise. It is where all the rich mo fos' live. Granted we have to be at 84 dB's or lower, but they let you pass with 86 and a talking to about you have to lower it by 2 dB's

  8. #8
    PBN Charter Member Short-Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,681
    F-2 Speed Racer


    Ignore User
    now you can blow bubbles, like fartin in the tub...

    where are you getting 4 stainless turn downs for less than 130 bucks
    Last edited by Short-Bus; 08-09-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    Kefurr and 92nsx like this.

  9. #9
    PBN Charter Member 92nsx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Clearwater, Mn
    Posts
    1,950
    33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's


    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Short-Bus View Post
    now you can blow bubbles, like fartin in the tub...

    where are you getting 4 stainless turn downs for less than 130 bucks
    Who said they were stainless? HAHHAHA. They are 4" Aluminum 90 degree elbows. They come with 12" legs. I cut 6" off one side and used silicone couplers. Once I like the length and position Ill run a SS #10 screw threw the clamp, couple and pipe so they don't fly off.

  10. #10
    PBN Charter Member 92nsx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Clearwater, Mn
    Posts
    1,950
    33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's


    Ignore User
    I like my sidewinder exhaust idea... hahaha . Exhaust turndown tips-1502287161131.jpg

    Here are some as project/how to photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exhaust turndown tips-1502287082218.jpg   Exhaust turndown tips-1502287092344.jpg   Exhaust turndown tips-1502287099585.jpg   Exhaust turndown tips-1502287110650.jpg   Exhaust turndown tips-1502287120271.jpg  

    Exhaust turndown tips-1502287143085.jpg  

  11. #11
    PBN User kidturbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Somewhere on the Ohio
    Posts
    492
    1995 Ultimate Warlock 210 LXI "Duramax Diesel" - 1992 Team Warlock 38' Express Cat "Powertrain TBD"


    Ignore User
    I'd turn em up..

    Think your on right track. Should muffle it down a good bit. Or get a faster boat that they can't catch...
    92nsx likes this.

  12. #12
    PBN Charter Member BajaDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,057
    "Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander


    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    I like my sidewinder exhaust idea... hahaha . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1502287161131.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	66275

    Here are some as project/how to photos.
    Don't let that cutoff tool slip!

    Rob, it just wouldn't hurt a thing to put a small angle on them as you were discussing. 15 degrees would be plenty.

  13. #13
    PBN Charter Member 92nsx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Clearwater, Mn
    Posts
    1,950
    33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's


    Ignore User
    Talked to a couple other river guys that run turn downs. As CMI told them the angle on the tip is just for cosmetic reasons. Some people like angle tips, some like straight. They make them both ways. A couple things he told me to add was to drill a 1/4" hole on the inside of the radius to release pressure , add a mechanical fastener (screw or nut n bolt), I did a screw. And to check them every time you come out of the water. You will be surprised how fast they loosen up. He spent $1400 to have CMI make his
    Exhaust turndown tips-fb_img_1502368785456-002-.jpg

    This black PVC turndowns is on a Outerlimits that also runs the river The struggle is real here in MN.
    Exhaust turndown tips-20150927_131844.jpg

    A Cig I found searching






    Now Im struggling with OCD, and making the angles match. I have to angle in the center pipes about 10-15 degrees to clear the rams. But every time I tighten up the clamp 1 of them moves. UGH. After screw around for a hour last night I put down the 10mm and will come back to it tonight
    Exhaust turndown tips-20170809_181006.jpg
    Sydwayz and Wobble like this.

  14. #14
    PBN Charter Member BajaDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,057
    "Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander


    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    Now Im struggling with OCD, and making the angles match. I have to angle in the center pipes about 10-15 degrees to clear the rams. But every time I tighten up the clamp 1 of them moves. UGH. After screw around for a hour last night I put down the 10mm and will come back to it tonight
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170809_181006.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	66285
    Put a block of wood (2x4) between the pipes and get your wife to hold them in place. Then tighten the clamps.
    92nsx likes this.

  15. #15
    PBN User kidturbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Somewhere on the Ohio
    Posts
    492
    1995 Ultimate Warlock 210 LXI "Duramax Diesel" - 1992 Team Warlock 38' Express Cat "Powertrain TBD"


    Ignore User
    Opt for some High Performance Mufflers. These make everyone look to the sky as ya go by at 150db..


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    hook'em and 92nsx like this.

  16. #16
    PBN User rschap1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Murray Lake Lowell MI
    Posts
    214
    Toon & 550SXs


    Ignore User
    rotary mufflers
    92nsx likes this.

  17. #17
    PBN Charter Member Short-Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,681
    F-2 Speed Racer


    Ignore User
    Rob, Id suggest turning the wheel lock to lock to make sure they wont hit the rams, there's a lot of turbulence behind a boat, hope they stay on with just a rubber hose
    Last edited by Short-Bus; 08-11-2017 at 11:21 AM.

  18. #18
    PBN Charter Member 92nsx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Clearwater, Mn
    Posts
    1,950
    33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's


    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Short-Bus View Post
    Rob, Id suggest turning the wheel lock to lock to make sure they wont hit the rams, there's a lot of turbulence behind a boat, hope they stay on with just a rubber hose
    Yep did that full up and down with the drives. Straight down they hit. That is why I have to tilt them in. rubber hose and screws. Screwed and glued

    Thank you for the shirt by the way
    Short-Bus likes this.

  19. #19
    PBN Charter Member 92nsx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Clearwater, Mn
    Posts
    1,950
    33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's


    Ignore User
    Here is end results. Glued screwed and tattooed. (Ok more like alum and SS polished up). Each pipe ks tilted in about 10-15 degrees. This weekend I'll see how it preforms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exhaust turndown tips-1502722707697.jpg  
    642mx, hook'em, kidturbo and 1 others like this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •