Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cam Sensor alarm on 2005 525 over 3500 rpms

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User

Cam Sensor alarm on 2005 525 over 3500 rpms

Jeff had an alarm this weekend on port engine. Said as soon as he reached 3500 rpm's he had an alarm/ buzzer going off. Got back to the marina and I threw my scanner on it.

Alarm was for Cam sensor. NOT crank. Any words of wisdom. Where the hell is it even?

F-2 Speed Racer

Ignore User
    Should be in the distributor hole, has no cap and wires but still turns the oil pump, it maybe out of phase.......
    Last edited by Short-Bus; 06-26-2017 at 07:54 AM.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    ^^^ ok, yep I see what your talking about. Do you know the way to properly phase it?

F-2 Speed Racer

Ignore User
    Ive never timed a 525, which controller does it have PCM 555 ?......pretty sure you will need to but it in maint. mode to set base timing @8* similar to the MEFI
    92nsx likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    ^^^^ yep 555 computer.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Well he is ordering a new one (AC delco pn 213-350) along with gasket and top intake gaskets. Called the Formula dealer at Osage Beach. They emailed him the pages right out of the service manual . Service guy he talked to said the manual is hard to find for the older 525's with the dizzy style cam sensor. Had no problems emailing him the procedure on setting and replacement (For the record pretty much the same a normal dizzy. DTC and have it pointing at #1). Explained everything to him no problems.

That right there is OUT STANDING service if you ask me. Call them with a question and get a actually real answer, no BS, no run around. to Formula dealer at Osage

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Good stuff. With that kinda review why not post the name of the Dealer/shop? I'm sure they won't mind the public pat on the back.
    92nsx likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Well we will see how good Amazon shipping is. Total with guaranteed next day delivery by 8 pm, $260. Surprising next day shipping was just under $40 for shipping. Not to bad if you ask me. He was busy in meetings so I went ahead and ordered it and had it shipped to his house for him. Should give him Thurs or Friday night to install it.

Have to be ready for the 4th you know
    Last edited by 92nsx; 06-27-2017 at 02:06 PM.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    New sensor (A.C Delco, 213-350) showed up, and works perfect so far. We took the easy route and didn't replace the entire assembly since the O ring gaskets for the intake are not here yet. Rather we removed just the "sensor" part (2 screws) of the what I want to call a "Dizzy sensor assembly" . Now I'm curious If a person can find just the sensor vs the entire assembly cheaper. That will be a subject / research for another day.

Started on the hose no alarms, gave it a couple revs (really don't want to run sustained higher RPM'S wile on the hose) and all seems good. Test on the river Saturday

Cam Sensor alarm on 2005 525 over 3500 rpms-part_1498693392773_1697607580.jpg
    Slandrew and Kefurr like this.

Toon & 550SXs

Ignore User
    Congrats

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Well we are throwing in the towel and to the shop she goes.

Current: 87 octane fuel, new cam sensor: runs like a raped ape, transom nice and clean. No more cam sensor code.

Then out of out of nowhere cant get over 3k rpms now. Feels just like you hit a rev limiter and a "Beep". No codes. Just the engine cuts out and a single short beep. Seems to happen more when the engine is warm. I hope it doesn't turn into what Steve had and a $2k computer plus diagnostics when his would randomly turn off and back on with 1 short beep and no codes.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Did you call Myrick at PBC?
    92nsx likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    Did you call Myrick at PBC?
    Nope have been dealing with the the marina that the previous owner used, Formula at Osage beach, and Erickson Marine (local Formula dealer) up here. Ran into a few guys that work there over the 4th wknd at the marina in 412's and a SS. So Jeff said screw it, don't have time to fuck around with it. Just going to bring it in and pay the guy.

07 38 Fountain Lightning 600SCI

Ignore User
    What was the outcome?

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    OutCome...... Has been at the shop ever since with 3 water test. Mercury in Fond Du Lac, Wi Is also scratching their heads. It is still at the shop as we speak.

They have swapped sensors, same. Swapped ECU's same. Thinking maybe neutral safety switch. Started engines and by passed them. Same. Plus what ever other test they have done. It is randomly going into guardian mode for .01 sec once warmed up and yet not throwing any codes. At least my scanner is seeing the same their fancy lap top is seeing.

Friday/tomorrow he is going to go grab it and put in new impellers in it since the shop isn't open on wknds. He has them on the shelf already. Maybe it is on the edge of keeping the water pressure switch happy... Maybe the engine harness has something bad. Not sure.

We have been wanting to put impellers in it since this is there second year on them. So I guess since it is down, now is a good time to do it.

Dealer and Mercury are working together on this one. Jeff has even spoke to the Engineer at Mercury.

Last water test we even uploaded a video of what it is doing for Mercury.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Voodoo, your 353 and Jeff 382 have almost identical paint!

Cam Sensor alarm on 2005 525 over 3500 rpms-1479484137813.jpg
    VoodooRob likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Saturday, New impellers & housings, back flushed the chit out of the system, and put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

Beep at 2 min into running, beep at 5 min into running, then the last beep to be heard was at about 9 mins into running. Ever since it has been running like a raped ape! Water pressure on the edge of being happy / to low ? I wouldn't go as far and say snake oil in the gas fixed the issue. Either way it ran great. Rode the 525's pretty hard for 60-70 mins with no beeps, or hiccups

If It stays good for the rest of the season (maybe 4 weekend left up here ) I will say fixed.

Cam Sensor alarm on 2005 525 over 3500 rpms-wefwef.jpg
    Slandrew likes this.

07 38 Fountain Lightning 600SCI

Ignore User
    I just noticed never updated the avatar last year. We enjoyed the 353 for 3 seasons, moved on to something faster and bigger in 2016. Had a good time with that boat, purchased the 353 from Shipyard in WI, it was purchased new there we were 2nd owner.
    Every season, no matter the hours, install new impellers/housings and change the oil for the mechanical fuel pump while your at it. 525 Headers need as much water flow as possible, not pressure as many think.
    Last edited by VoodooRob; 08-22-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    92nsx likes this.

04 Top Gun

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    Saturday, New impellers & housings, back flushed the chit out of the system, and put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

Beep at 2 min into running, beep at 5 min into running, then the last beep to be heard was at about 9 mins into running. Ever since it has been running like a raped ape! Water pressure on the edge of being happy / to low ? I wouldn't go as far and say snake oil in the gas fixed the issue. Either way it ran great. Rode the 525's pretty hard for 60-70 mins with no beeps, or hiccups

If It stays good for the rest of the season (maybe 4 weekend left up here ) I will say fixed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wefwef.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	66458
    So what is the water pressure? Mercury likes a ton of water pressure, you say it's almost happy, what is it all across the board

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbraun2828 View Post
    So what is the water pressure? Mercury likes a ton of water pressure, you say it's almost happy, what is it all across the board
    I didn't scan it to get water pressure reading(s) wiht new impellers. Just happy to have it not beep. In fact the shop/ local formula dealer still cant believe it fixed the issue. So far no bill either form the shop for diagnostic fees . See how this weekend goes, maybe get it out and get some readings so we know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast