Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree255Likes

Thread: Friday Airplane Pics

09' Fountain Lightning

Ignore User
    The Buckeye MOA is east of Cincinnati about a hundred miles. We have F-16's in there playing all the time from 5000'-50,000'. Have heard some pretty good stories from pilots "training" in that area. One F-22 raptor took on 6 F-15's and killed them all before they knew what happened. Goes to show just how obsolete most other fighters have become, and even more amazing just how ahead of its time the SR-71 was. Now just imagine some of the stuff that our military has but hasn't gone public with!!!
    Kid turbo, the Wright-Patt museum is definitely worth the trip! Incredible aircraft in there!
    Friday Airplane Pics-image.jpg
    I took this while flying into the Moto GP race in Austin last year. American Airlines MD-80
    Last edited by Spanish Fly; 04-02-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    emilsr likes this.

PBN User
    2015 48 MTI, 2011 Formula 400SS, 2009 Tige RZ4

Ignore User
    Wow, that's old school airline tech right there!

09' Fountain Lightning

Ignore User
    SummerO, wait til the Honda Jet gets all it's certs done and is delivered next year. 400kts with a fuel burn of 55 gallons per hour and a new price of $3.5 Mil......Now that will be a game changer!

Boatless

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kidturbo View Post
    I've gotta stop by WP in Dayton one day and check that black bad boy out in person...
    Worth the trip; there's a lot to see there. Their annual airshow is also worth going to.

Of the museums I've been, here's my favorites (and in this order):

1. Pima Air Museum (Tucson, AZ)
    2. Air Force Museum at Wright Patt
    3. Naval Air Museum in Pensacola
    4. Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC

PBN User

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish Fly View Post
    SummerO, wait til the Honda Jet gets all it's certs done and is delivered next year. 400kts with a fuel burn of 55 gallons per hour and a new price of $3.5 Mil......Now that will be a game changer!
    Maybe. The cabin pics I've seen looks a bit small, but I haven't seen a real mock up yet. What is the range predicted to be on those?

OK, checked the website. Yes, it should be a nice VLJ model, range at 1180 miles. Should compete well with the Embraer 100, but not in the same class as the 300.
    Last edited by SummerO; 04-02-2014 at 12:59 PM.

09' Fountain Lightning

Ignore User
    The price and fuel burn is what I think is phenomenal. I'm told by a friend that works at the factory that they have a stretched version in the works as well. The current offering is obviously the VLJ with not much room but it's that small market they are dipping the toe into. Another that I really like is the Piaggio P-180, they run with the jets up at altitude and seem to be economical as well. If money wasnt a factor then the Falcon 7x or the Citation 10 hands down would be on my wish list.

PBN User

Ignore User
    I've got a few hours riding in a Piaggio, they are awesome machines! A little finicky maintenance wise, but very efficient and a true 400 mph.
    If they would stretch a Piaggio and put a couple FJ-44's on it....wow that would be cool!
    Spanish Fly likes this.

Sunsation 288 MCOB 496HO

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kidturbo View Post
    I've gotta stop by WP in Dayton one day and check that black bad boy out in person...
    I live out in the stick about 150 miles south east of Dayton, in the direct center of a favorite flight path for WP base local training runs. Had two groups of low pass window shakers blast my house yesterday.

While I'd love to take ride in Newbomb's sporty little Mach 1 city re-modeler, that old Blackbird is still the king of speed. That bitch was designed to haul ass at high altitude while screaming " Smile Boys, Catch Me If You Can" NOT!!!
    Love the Mach 1 city re-modeler quote.

SR-71 was awesome and retired far too early. Have been able to look inside the cockpit at a museum. Looks a lot like a T-38 cockpit, no joke. Gauges were obviously different for the awesome engines, Mach 3+ and 75000 MSL+ altitude, not as high tech as one would suspect. Backseater (RSO) had the business equipment and that was removed.

Sunsation 288 MCOB 496HO

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by emilsr View Post
    Worth the trip; there's a lot to see there. Their annual airshow is also worth going to.

Of the museums I've been, here's my favorites (and in this order):

1. Pima Air Museum (Tucson, AZ)
    2. Air Force Museum at Wright Patt
    3. Naval Air Museum in Pensacola
    4. Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC
    Have been to the first three and they are all outstanding.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    Lear 45. What a hot rod. You look down 5-10k feet on the commercial traffic. This will spoil you rotten.

Friday Airplane Pics-img00617-20110419-1023-copy.jpgFriday Airplane Pics-img00615-20110419-0924-copy.jpgFriday Airplane Pics-img00618-20110419-1632-copy.jpg

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    Well, you guys seem interested in the biz jet stuff. Not that I have a lot of experience in one of these but my personal favorite is the Lear. It is just so fast and the climb performance is fantastic for a civilian aircraft. Most seem to prefer the Citations however as they have more room inside. Here is the small Citation (XLS) which I guess is one of the most popular business jets in the world. Both the lear and the XLS are eight passenger aircraft. They are pretty cozy with eight.

Friday Airplane Pics-img_1968.jpgFriday Airplane Pics-img_1971.jpgFriday Airplane Pics-img_1974.jpgFriday Airplane Pics-img_1979.jpgFriday Airplane Pics-img_1983.jpgFriday Airplane Pics-img_1984.jpg

PBN User
    KENNEDY 22' PONTOON/CELBRITY 182SE/GLASTRON 1700

Ignore User
    You need to include the SAC Air & Space museum just west of Omaha, NE as a must see.
    The black bird greets you nose first as you enter the lobby!

PBN User

Ignore User
    Lear 45 and XLS are both awesome aircraft! NetJets flies a lot of XLS (like the one pictured), and they are very popular!

Sunsation 288 MCOB 496HO

Ignore User
    This week is the MC-130E Combat Talon. Retired May 2013. The MC-130E was in every major, and most minor actions since Vietnam, including the Son Tay Raid, Iranian Hostage Rescue, Grenada, Panama, Bosnia, and the continuing "Difference of Opinions" in Southwest Asia that started in with the First Gulf War. She was a great aircraft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Friday Airplane Pics-15-apr-5-ship.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-100_0327.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-100_0330.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-100_0331.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-100_0333.jpg  

Friday Airplane Pics-100_0334.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1915.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1919.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1922.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1932.jpg  

Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1935.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1937.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1945.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1948.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1965.jpg  

Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1967.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-mh60m_haar_1970.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-talon-ar.jpg  
    Last edited by Newbomb; 04-04-2014 at 06:45 AM.
    emilsr and MXBAJA421 like this.

PBN Charter Member
    Larson Senza 206

Ignore User
    That has to be one of the coolest things, sitting in the back of a plane with the loading door open.

PBN User

Ignore User
    There's a BlackBird on display in Hutchinson KS at the Space museum and you're just in awe standing next to it. Been 15 years since I've seen it but as I recall, it was a 2 seat trainer. What was shocking to me is everything in it was analog. That's about my closest experience with the military.... except for one tale.

We're at about the 44 mile marker, Lake of the Ozarks and heading up stream towards Big Dicks on a very quiet Thursday afternoon. A couple of A10 warthogs had been swooping around the lake so I had my eyes up looking for them. Out of nowhere, coming up from behind us is an Osprey. He is quite low, (300 - 500 feet? I'm a bad judge of distance) and he is running right up the middle of the channel. He tips his wings as if to say hello and over the top of us he goes. HOW COOL WAS THAT...... then, I about sh!t myself.

the rear tail door was dropped open and standing in the middle of the opening is a guy with two hands locked onto the biggest, tripod mounted, machine gun I'd ever seen. Pointed at us on the boat. As they went over the top I went from giddy to HOLY HELL !!!!

That pilot then tipped his wings again and off they went. All I could think was, "thank God they're on my side". It was awesome.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    C-130 Rollin down the strip, airborne daddy gonna take a little trip.......... HELL YA

Grab yo chit and count to four, move your ass on out the door.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

1999 Warlock 25 SXT Cat " Lunatic Fringe "

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    C-130 Rollin down the strip, airborne daddy gonna take a little trip.......... HELL YA

Grab yo chit and count to four, move your ass on out the door.
    I wanna be an Airborne Ranger I wanna jump from a big iron bird .....If my chute don't open wide I'm gonna kiss my ass goodbye !

09' Fountain Lightning

Ignore User

This is a great video of an Instrument Approach that is continuously turning down to final
    TxCig likes this.

Sunsation 288 MCOB 496HO

Ignore User
    The F-111 is this week's Newbomb's plane of the week. Some are of FB-111's. The flame out the azz end was called a Zippo. The fuel dump was between the engines. Dump on, the light the afterburners. Zippo!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Friday Airplane Pics-f-111-zippo.3.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-f-111-zippo.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-fb-111-ar.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-fb-111-mk-82.1.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-fb-111-mk-82.jpg  

Friday Airplane Pics-fb-111-sunset-ar.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-fb-111-zippo.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-fb-111.1.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-fb-111.2.jpg   Friday Airplane Pics-fb-111.jpg  

Friday Airplane Pics-warsaw-pact-central-heating.jpg  

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast