Thread: Charging Trolling Motor Batteries

PBN User

Ignore User

Charging Trolling Motor Batteries

My trolling motor batteries are not set up to charge from the alternator. The problem is that the trolling motor is a 24 volt with two 12 volt deep cycle batteries connected in series. I was told that adding an ACR would not work as they are set for 12 volts only.

I get about 3 hours of trolling with the batteries. It would be nice to be able to run the engine to get them recharged. I need to make sure that draining those batteries does not affect the starting battery.

It's a 2004 Glastron SX195 Fish and Ski with a Volvo Penta SX outdrive.

Thanks!

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Welcome Steve but I doubt you get much feedback in this neighborhood.

I've been running various 24v trolling motors for 30 years. I've never seen a set up that charges from the alternator. A good on board charger/tender does the trick. We can run 101 lb thrust 24v trolling motor for 8 hrs or more easily. Having said that I have to question if you're getting them truly charged or if maybe they are getting weak. 3 hours run time is definitely well below the norm. I'd get them load tested and install a "three bank" on board "plug in" charger.

There should be no risk of running your cranking battery down with the trolling motor. Those should be two completely separate systems. Good luck, lets us know.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

PBN User

Ignore User
    Thanks for the info.