Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MillerTime
  • 2 Post By Kamborghini

Thread: 2003 Tahoe Q7 with cracked block - 5.0 Mercruiser

PBN User

Ignore User

2003 Tahoe Q7 with cracked block - 5.0 Mercruiser

So I have a chance to pickup an '03 Tahoe Q7 as a 'project'. Problem is that the engine has a cracked block, needs a new prop and trim motor as well. The interior is a bit rough as well, but most of it is still serviceable.

This would be my first boat restoration, and was wondering a few things:
    1. What's a safe investment for that type of project?
    2. Are there any difference between the automobile block and the marine block? I can find a salvage 305 Chevy 5.0L V-8 block for dirt cheap, but a reman Marine block looks like it's going for ~$2k (bare). I know i have to change plugs, heads, cams, bearings, etc, but I'll have everything from the current motor.
    3. Assuming i stick with all Marine parts, except for the block, would this work?
    4. What am I missing or failing to consider here?

Thanks!!!

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    I dont know the exact difference between marine and truck blocks, but I've heard that truck engines wont hold up.

Man....its whatever you are looking to do. Tahoe boats are price point boats like a Bayliner. There is a reason why you can get a new tahoe in the $30-40k price range when chaparal, monterrey and bryant and others are roughly twice that. If you're looking to get wet as cheap as possible, then this might work for you.
    Personally it seems like it has an awful lot going on with it, so i would probably pass unless you could get it for a few hundred bucks. I would recommend a better name if putting that much work into one, but i understand sometimes a person might have more time than money to throw at stuff.
    And interior work adds up fast $$$. I was quoted about $8,000+ to redo my interor (and there really isn't more than a couple of knicks in it), but you probably wont have near as much to do.
    Good luck man!!

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    So i just looked up 2003 tahoe on cl here locally, only came back with 1. It had a 5.7, dual axle trailer and looked really clean for just under $14k.
    So just figure out how much needs to be done to get it to "clean" status and see if its worth it.
    I flip vehicles and heavy equipment a bunch, boats are a little harder to do unless u can buy really cheap or they are extremely clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    92nsx likes this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    MillerTime, thank you for looking into this. You bring up good points - prolly going to pass on this one - could end up being a money pit! Thanks
    92nsx and MillerTime like this.