• 1 Post By NORDIC454
  • 1 Post By cdail28590
  • 1 Post By lvrepoman
  • 1 Post By lvrepoman

Thread: Contest #3 Best DIY resto

2001 T/S TOP GUN

Ignore User

Contest #3 Best DIY resto

This contest is for the best do it yourself restoration. Not everyone has stacks of cash to pay people to do the work for them of buy new boats every few years. If you are like me the only way to keep the dream alive is to do as much work myself as possible. I envy those guys who have the talent and patience to do a complete resto on a powerboat.

Submit yours or your friends restoration project and win the following:

The owner of the boat will win!

• $50.00 Pre-Paid Credit Card
    • A Tres Martin Performance Boat School ignition lanyard wrist band
    • A PowerboatNation T-Shirt
    • Recognition from your peers. Best Do It Yourself Restoration!

You must submit before and after pics and a description of the overall project. After the the nominations are submitted a voting poll will be created and the PBN membership will vote for the winner!

Good Luck
    Last edited by PBN-Brad; 11-05-2012 at 12:59 PM.

PBN User

Ignore User
    My "powerboat" isnt as big as most of yours, but heres my resto on my '78 NORDIC 20. My Grandfather bought it new in '78, and gave it to my 6 years ago. Since then I have been slowly turning it into a more modern and updated speed boat. all instruments, billet, engine, interior, drive ec.. have been replaced. I rebuilt the motor in 2010 to a 468BBC around 570hp, polished aluminum center rise exhaust with custom 4" S.S. center exit tails. Berkely pump, swapped to split bowl, added mini droop, 7* wedge, and place diverter. New interior, 1500W stereo, buffed and polished out the original gel, etc.. Everything other than the machine work on the new motor was done by me, from fabricating bow rail plugs, to acc. brackets on the motor. the pictures are out of order.

Attachment 492IMG_0832.jpgIMG00736-20110421-1011.jpgIMG00989-20110726-1518.jpgIMG00887-20110630-0953.jpgIMAG0024.jpg004.jpgIMG01005-20110728-1659.jpgIMG00715-20110414-1230.jpgIMG_1704.jpg
    Last edited by NORDIC454; 11-08-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Tom Brown likes this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Last picture, thi swas our last run this season
    IMG_0637.jpg

PBN User
    28' Bertram (Water Therapy), 22' Velocity (And Take Your Money), 21' Sea Ox (Fowl Attitude)

Ignore User
    Heres my addition to this thread.
    My previous performance boat was a 24 Python that I had rewired, put a new transom in, new motor, new gauges, stereo, and buffed out. The boat was almost back to new except for the interior which I had planned to redo this past summer. Long story short without all the details the boat caught fire April 2012 and was destroyed. I was able to salvage the motor, headers, outdrive, and platform. So now I am looking for another boat and after about 3 weeks of searching I find a sweet deal on craigslist and the boat is only 1.5 hours. The guy wanted $1800 for the Velocity and my wife got involved and talked him down to $1200. The Velocity had a stock 330 MPI (not running), bravo, needed some cleaning, steering helm needed to be installed, and had all the interior (which was stored in his house). I replaced the floor and made it so the fuel tank could be removed without having to cut the floor out. I then started buffing the boat with Fountain of Youth products and got it back looking good. Installed the steering helm that the previous owner had bought but didn't know how to install. I rebuilt the motor out of my burnt boat, cleaned and polished my exhaust. Installed the motor, my old Bravo drive, a new fuel system, and platform from my other boat. I had to raise the hatch 4.5" so all that has to get recovered. The hatch has been raised and fitted but I am waiting on doing the upholestry because I am going to install speakers into the hatch. I've only had it out 3 times at the end of the summer after I got it mostly completed. I'm still learning the trim set up this boat likes but so far I have gotten to 77 mph spinning a 24 Bravo in a short straight area. I think with a longer run area I could possibly hit 80. The winter plans are to redo the upholestry, install stereo, try to get my old add on hydraulic steering put on and make it full hydraulic steering, and add new gauges. The motor is a gen 6 454 that is a 468 with World Grumpy Jenkins heads and custom Bob Madera cam. The arrestor I bought separate and had to fabricate a piece to make the dominator arrestor fit my 850 demon carb. Its a tight fit to get the engine in and obviously you can see I had to cut some glass to fit the headers. Over the winter I hope to cover the openings I had to cut out.

Burnt boat
    IMG_3902.jpgIMG_3910.jpg

Velocity when I went to look at it
    Velocity old 1.jpgVelocity old 2.jpgVelocity old 3.jpg

After pics
    IMG_4026.jpgIMG_4028.jpgIMG_4030.jpgVelocity 1.jpgVelocity 2.jpg
    Tom Brown likes this.

PBN Charter Member

Ignore User
    Last edited by lvrepoman; 11-13-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Tom Brown likes this.

PBN Charter Member

Ignore User

PBN Charter Member

Ignore User

PBN Charter Member

Ignore User

More yet...

Sorry if im blowing up this thread, but I thought a few people might get a kick out of this build, or maybe catch a few ideas. I had a tremendous amount of fun doing this build and wanted to share the experience. I just wanna add that if it werent for the advice I got from my vendors, Scott at CP Performance in particular, this wouldnt have ever been completed. This was my very first resto, and this is the first of 3 boats that I own. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but Scott made the project seem a whole lot less overwhelming with his perfect instruction and advice!

241.jpg244.jpg309.jpg333.jpg335.jpg350.JPG364.jpg371.jpg372.jpg377.jpg

PBN Charter Member

Ignore User

PBN Charter Member

Ignore User
    Tom Brown likes this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    You spent way more money than i'm allowed to. Lol

Ignore User

Cool My favorite thread on the Forum!!!

Gives me new inspiration to finish mine.

In my opinion...this is the core and heart of the sport. There are thousands of projects like these in various stages of completion that deserve to be recognized...plus i want to learn a few things from what others are doing.

Great thread Brad!!! Thank You!!!

2001 T/S TOP GUN

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by sprink60 View Post
    Gives me new inspiration to finish mine.

In my opinion...this is the core and heart of the sport. There are thousands of projects like these in various stages of completion that deserve to be recognized...plus i want to learn a few things from what others are doing.

Great thread Brad!!! Thank You!!!
    I agree! and thank you. I think our future is right here. Only the elite will build new boats and we will resto better boats. Cool enthusiast driven projects. Thanks for all the contributions!

PBN Charter Member Zero Patience's Avatar
    38 Cigarette Six Gun. 28 Skater- 300 XS

Ignore User
    Great Job, Excellent progress.

PBN User
    28' Bertram (Water Therapy), 22' Velocity (And Take Your Money), 21' Sea Ox (Fowl Attitude)

Ignore User
    So when do we find out who won?

PBN User

Ignore User
    Here is a update on my velocity with the new interior installed.
    Velocity interior 1.jpgVelocity interior 2.jpgVelocity interior 3.jpg