Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree369Likes

Thread: Bulding of a Storage Shed 2.0

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User

Building of a Storage Shed 2.0

Since I was asked to start a new one and not to clutter up the 1.0 thread here is 2.0

I'm building a 40X70 pole barn to house all of my junk in. Originally had planned to build a 50X80 barn but the cost to move to 52' trusses made it unreasonable for my needs. I shortened it by 10' in length as well so my wife wouldn't lose all of her "precious" view of a cotton field while she sat on the back porch drinking wine straight out of the bottle. She may have to start drinking Boone Farms after I'm done with this project.

We moved to Southern Alabama in the fall of 2016 and purchased a house set on 10 Acres. After we got settled I started getting quotes to put up the barn once we made the decision to farm it out vs. building it on our own. I just don't have the help I need here to complete a project this large. I ended up going with a build from National Barn Company after looking over several builds near me they had completed.

First step was to decide where to put it on the property. I really only had 2 choices for a place to put it as the house area sits approx 6' higher compared to the rest of the property. You can see the grade changes in the picture below based on the grade lines. The choices I had are in outlined with a black and green circle. We ended up deciding on the area in green as it would allow the best access to the barn, require the least amount of dirt work, and would not require an addition of a 2nd septic system as I can tie into the unit already on the property. The green line in the photo is an outline of where the drive will be placed allowing access direct from the road.

Barn Area.JPG

Next we worked with National Barn on the design of the building. It will have Charcoal wainscoating and roof, with Ash Grey walls. Here are a couple drawings from National Barn, along with a barn in the same basic color scheme. The barn will have 2 - 12'x12' overhead doors one on each end to allow for a complete pull through, and 2 - 10'x10' doors on the wall facing the house for additional parking access.

John Blackburn Barn Drawing #23.jpg
    John Blackburn Barn Drawing #22.jpg
    John Blackburn Barn Drawing #21.jpg
    John Blackburn Barn Drawing #24.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg

Next I had to prep the ground and build a raised pad on which to build the barn (Which naturally meant I needed to purchase a tractor, because everyone should have one) First step, remove the trees that were in the way of the building. Next I brought in 144 yards of dirt to build the pad. At it's lowest spot the pad is 6" high, and at it's tallest point it is 18" high to make a raised level pad. The pad was completed it November and has held up very well considering the onslaught of rain we have received the past 2 months. I had to add one bag of river rock from lowe's to the only section the started to wash out. I have not had to add any additional dirt to the pad.

IMG_1178.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486603326.064846.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486603439.725667.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg

Next I got started on cleaning up the ditch in front of the house, and adding the culvert to start on the new driveway. My intent was to have the culvert completed and usable before material delivery so National Barn could use it instead of my main driveway and finish the drive to the barn after completion of the build. I got the culvert built in time, but due to a couple inches of rain the day before material delivery, they had to use the main drive anyway.

ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604117.418829.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604140.620490.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604175.291083.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604193.550552.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604210.060556.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604226.242036.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604249.575852.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604264.934214.jpg

Finally starting to get somewhere. On 2/7/17, the buidling materials were finally delivered in a driving rainstorm. Sometime in the next 3 weeks the build will get started. I will update again as progress is made.

ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604446.607223.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604499.418378.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604523.324501.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604554.700580.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604580.152025.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1486604599.089609.jpg
    Last edited by j21black; 04-11-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    Slandrew, hook'em, BajaDan and 3 others like this.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    The request wasn't about clutter at all JB. This project deserves its own thread.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    The request wasn't about clutter at all JB. This project deserves its own thread.
    Either way...I'm just poking fun!!!!
    hook'em likes this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Everybody needs a tractor!
    92nsx and j21black like this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Jb will have 2.0 fishished before I get 1.0 finished and started in 2015.... Bahaha .

Barn vs shed.

Save room. Ill rent my shed out for winter storage and bring the 33 down south for winter
    Last edited by 92nsx; 02-08-2017 at 06:59 PM.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    Jb will have 2.0 fishished before I get 1.0 finished and started in 2015.... Bahaha .

Barn vs shed.

Save room. Ill rent my shed out for winter storage and bring the 33 down south for winter
    Maybe, maybe not. Concrete going down is going to depend on how much money I spend on other stuff. It could go down after the main structure is completed, or it could be 6 months down the road. Also it won't be completed, until the living quarters are built on the inside.
    Last edited by j21black; 04-21-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post

Absolutely & moving along nicely , your neck of the woods call for permits & inspections or just roll with it ?

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by j21black View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Concrete going down is going to depend on how much money I spend on other stuff. It could go down after the main structure is completed, or it could be 6 months down the road. Also it won't be completed, until the living quarters including a safe room/tornado shelter is built on the inside.
    There, fixed it for ya.
    92nsx likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNNINHOTRACING163.1 View Post
    Absolutely & moving along nicely , your neck of the woods call for permits & inspections or just roll with it ?

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No permits in the county. Crazy, but I'm ok with it.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User

Barn vs shed.

Barn= a building used to house and tend farm animals, store feed, hay and tack.

Shed= a small building used to store lawn and gardening equipment and tools.

Garage= usually attached to the living quarters, were daily drivers are parked.

SHOP= a building where all the magic happens. Man toys live here. Man code is native language. A comfortable place for alcohol fueled fellowship....and TITTYS always TITTY friendly.

You're welcome.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Maybe, maybe not. Concrete going down is going to depend on how much money I spend on other stuff. It could go down after the main structure is completed, or it could be 6 months down the road. Also it won't be completed, until the living quarters is built on the inside.
    Living quarters. Nice touch.

Concrete at 4" thick = 35 yards
    Concrete at 6" thick = 52 yards

Cost when I had concrete poured (materials only) came to $122.50 pr yard in 2015. ($2450 for 2 - 10 yard trucks) . Plus re-bar.

Ignore User
    Living quarters. Nice touch.

Concrete at 4" thick = 35 yards
    Concrete at 6" thick = 52 yards

Cost when I had concrete poured (materials only) came to $122.50 pr yard in 2015. ($2450 for 2 - 10 yard trucks) . Plus re-bar.
    Just got our new 2017 prices for ready mix and were up to $166.00 a yard for 6 bag mix with fiber mesh any loads under 6 yards are $300.00 cartage & Saturday delivery is $300.00 addtl .. adds up quick
    92nsx likes this.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNNINHOTRACING163.1 View Post
    Just got our new 2017 prices for ready mix and were up to $166.00 a yard for 6 bag mix with fiber mesh any loads under 6 yards are $300.00 cartage & Saturday delivery is $300.00 addtl .. adds up quick
    That's crazy.
    MillerTime likes this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    Dang thats all high!
    My brother checked this past week and we can get cement for $93 a yard. Less than 5 yds is $125 delivery fee.
    He is pouring sidewalks and extra drive way width.

I hate fiber mesh concrete. If u ever plan on crawling around on the concrete, its a bad deal. There will be fibers everywhere. You could always grind and polish or paint, but thats even more cost.
    I've seen a few mini-storages done with it, and personally thats all I'd use it for.

Personally all my stuff gets steel. Drives are 6" with a 12" thickened edge, garage (30×50) is 6-7" with 18x18" footings. But i was running alot of heavy equipment and semis on it for quite a while.

Jb, make sure you get a thickened edge though.

I told one engineer guy i did a pad, final grade and drives for, to make sure he did thickened edge on his fancy shmancy "new designed" pole barn. He didn't, and slab was washing out before we even had a chance to do the final grade. He had other "sounds good" engineer type ideas too on that building. It was a bunch of crap though. Being in the field and experience with how it works in the real world, will totally blow an engineers mind when their ideas fail.
    He sold the place about a year after building that idiotic shop, that he blew a ton of money on.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User

Bulding of a Storage Shed 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Dang thats all high!
    My brother checked this past week and we can get cement for $93 a yard. Less than 5 yds is $125 delivery fee.
    Yeah. I was quoted $85/yard.

School me on a thickened edge. I'm familiar with the fiber concrete. Did dads barn with it in 1998. I haven't found a crack yet.
    Last edited by j21black; 02-09-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    BajaDan, 92nsx and MillerTime like this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    Yeah. I was quoted $85/yard.

School me on a thickened edge. I'm familiar with the fiber concrete. Did dads barn with it in 1998. I haven't found a crack yet.
    if you're pad is say 6" thick, around the edges dig down another 6" and dig it in a few inches from the form boards. This makes kind of a small footing around the edges.
    Seen a bunch of drives and slabs get washed under from not doing it. Of couse gutters and proper drainage help alot too.
    Most builders dont want to pay the extra for dirt work or cement, so it happens.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    if you're pad is say 6" thick, around the edges dig down another 6" and dig it in a few inches from the form boards. This makes kind of a small footing around the edges.
    Seen a bunch of drives and slabs get washed under from not doing it. Of couse gutters and proper drainage help alot too.
    Most builders dont want to pay the extra for dirt work or cement, so it happens.
    My pad is in good shape. Got 6" of rain in 3 hours one day and it held up, water went around it as planned. And several other heavy downpours, about an inch an hour.

I'll think about it around the perimeter, but definitely worth doing around the doors at a minimum.

Barn will have an overhang, and the overhang was set up ready for gutters to be installed.
    MillerTime likes this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    My pad is in good shape. Got 6" of rain in 3 hours one day and it held up, water went around it as planned. And several other heavy downpours, about an inch an hour.

I'll think about it around the perimeter, but definitely worth doing around the doors at a minimum.

Barn will have an overhang, and the overhang was set up ready for gutters to be installed.
    Sounds good!
    Don't forget that rain doesn't always hit the roof. Runs down sidewalls too.

Of course you could pour side walks all the way around too. Kids love it!! Mine are always riding a bike or powerwheels or something around the outside of the garage.

Im sorry, ill spend wayyy to much of your money on concrete.
    I've lived in the country and down a dirt / gravel road pretty much my whole life. So i LOVE tons and tons of concrete!!
    hook'em, BajaDan and Cedesjourdy like this.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Sounds good!
    Don't forget that rain doesn't always hit the roof. Runs down sidewalls too.

Of course you could pour side walks all the way around too. Kids love it!! Mine are always riding a bike or powerwheels or something around the outside of the garage.

Im sorry, ill spend wayyy to much of your money on concrete.
    I've lived in the country and down a dirt / gravel road pretty much my whole life. So i LOVE tons and tons of concrete!!
    If you want to chip in, say 1/2, we can do it however you want.

I'm definitely open to suggestions.
    hook'em likes this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    If you want to chip in, say 1/2, we can do it however you want.

I'm definitely open to suggestions.
    Lol!!

Just trying to help.
    It sux to have an issue when just few bucks more would prevent it. (I go really over board on my own stuff!)

Honestly a thickend edge all around a 40×70 would probably only add another yard or 2 to the job.

I did construction all growing up until i swiched to cars when i was about 20. Did a few housed but mostly steel buildings and mini storages.
    Still after i switched to cars, i had a small construction and heavy equipment comp. that i ran on the side. Quit that about 2 years ago, but hopefully we will build a couple houses this year.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast