Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Building of a boat storage "shed".

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User

Building of a boat storage "shed".

Just wanted to make a thread keeping all the info In 1 area. Other members might be thinking of building a building to keep the boat in. So here we can see what I did and get you guys out there swinging hammers Started about a year ago so Ill update this from the beginning. Might take some time to get up to current date. Also I'm not made of money so I get to build this on budget, and build as the checkbook allows.

A few of the things I had to have and work with

1: As BIG as I can build that the city will allow. (1000 sq ft.)
    2: Must fit performance boat up to 38' (44'ish with trailer) to make room for the next boat
    3: 10' tall garage door. (performance boats on trailers can get a little over 9' tall
    4: budget friendly (i know a few people that work for beer with different traits)
    5: Time line . Build as the $$$$$$ are there
    6: Build it on a floating monolithic slab. No 4' deep footing to dig them.
    7: Go boating, not building garage, when the weather is nice!!!! ( that is rule #1)

To start, like always, have to find out the MAX size we can build. Go big or go home, right?. Max sq ft is 1000 with a max of 30% green covered by a accessory building in my city. Well I was in luck and I have 1 of 4 or 5 properties that could allow this size garage. So I can build up to 1000 sq ft . So I have 2 choices (has to be long to fit our performance boats) 20' wide by 50' long (1000 sq ft), or 22 wide by 45 long (990 sq ft).

I knew I wanted a 16' wide garage door, and 20' wide garages with 16' doors look funny to me. So I chose the 22' wide option. I figure this "should" fit up to a 38' boat depending on trailer. I figure take the length of the boat and add 6' on for the trailer. It would be tight, but should fit.

Next came the height. Well I wanted a 10' tall door and I need a min. of 16" clearance about the door for the spring and track. So time to start planning to keep the roof height low, so it meet there requirements of the less then 15' to the center of the gable to the ground.

So double block to start . Gives me a extra 8" vs single block. I could have skipped the block, but I wanted it for water reasons and the height. Next, walls. 2x4's. Light for when wall lifting time comes. I decided to cut my own studs to 10' long vs the pre cuts that are already shortened for the sill, and double top plates. This will give me a extra 4.5" of height and now give me 11' 8" from floor to top of the truss. ( 20" clearance above the garage door) perfect. Yes I figured it will mess up the #'s when it comes to sheathing and what not but deal with that when time comes Then went with 4/12 pitch roof/truss. Every one is happy. Time to start drawing up some sort of plans to submit for a permit.

The floating monolithic slab has to have a Min of 12"X12" footing on the sides then angles about 30-45 degrees up to 4".

For this I used Sketchup. It is a free program you can download and build shit on. Kind of like Auto cad. Actually works great. So I drew up some plans of the shed and made the rest on the computer. More the merrier I figured for city engineer dude. Here is what I made on sketchup .

Well I submitted every thing I hand drew and what I made on scetch up and waited. 2 or 3 weeks go by and I'm starting to get worried no call giving me the green light...... I figured he said hell no, no way, cant go that big. Will about 1 week later I get a phone call from the City....... She says, "you building permit is approved and can come pick it up. Cost is $360" Alright, Alright, Alright!
    Last edited by 92nsx; 04-05-2016 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Spelling, grammor
    hook'em, ttuton and j21black like this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    So next comes layout for the slab. I have to 6' off the side and 10' off the back (utility easements) No prob, a couple steaks and mason string worked fine and marked out the 22'wide by 45' deep.

Time to dig up my beautiful green grass I pride on keeping it up as the best in town. For this I picked up my buddies old school skid steer and we played around

You will get used to this angle of photos. It is taking from the rear service door of my attached garage.

I dont have a photo, but once it was done I borrowed a dump trailer and dumped the grass/ dirt at his place since he wanted it.

Dam how did those bush lite cans get on my grass?
    Last edited by 92nsx; 04-04-2016 at 11:39 AM.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Next we dug the footings in the front. I wanted the slab as close to the ground as I go with out rain water running into the garage door.

Footings for the floating slab are this. Front are 12-13" deep, then due to the grade no more beside a first few feet of the sides have to get dug in. At the back of the shed, garage, building they were up to 24-26" deep/tall in the due to the grade of the yard. Ya it was extra yard or 2 of concrete but o well. nice extra large footing should help keep every thing in place.

hook'em, BajaDan and j21black like this.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    This is great Rob! Thanks for sharing. I will have to check out Sketch UP.
    92nsx likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    So this is all still spring / early 2015. Next it is time to find some fill. Brad my concrete guy say use crushed concrete. It packs great and will be great fill for a slab. Sounds good. I figured this shit is every where, there always digging up roads, footing, old ready mix, ect. and they must piratically give it away for free (plus delivery) . This was the first sticker sticker shock. That shit is not free, rather $20+ a yard depending where I get it from. But it has to be done so i order in the estimated 20 yards (2 truck loads) and pay the delivery guy.

Kenny another neighbor came over with his cat skid steer and started moving the fill around. Kenny is in the masonry business,and has been doing this shit for 30 or 40+ years. He has dam good eye when it comes to get shit level.

John another neighbor ( he is paint and body work guy) stopped by with the new baby to check things out.

We soon relisted either these were some super small 10 yard trucks or we miss estimated. Either way we got done what we could and I would order more fill, time for a beer

Last edited by 92nsx; 04-04-2016 at 12:15 PM.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    The back of the slab we have to bring up in layers so it packs as we go. We had to bring it up some 20+ inches if I remember right. Well the first company I had for the fill ... They are now booked and can not get me fill for a couple weeks! Ugh, I want to get this slab done before boating season starts. So I call another place. They say yep, no problem we will send a truck out now and drop it off for you. I ask if I should pay the driver, and she say nope, we will bill/invoice you at the end of the month. Im like sweet, get the shit here!!

Now this is a load of crushed concrete. So either the other were small or this one was huge. It was falling over the sides as he was backing in.

Once again Kenny comes over and moves it all around. I had the easy job. Move the 20' long 2x4 and the level form spot to spot so he could see where to fill in.

Here I'm watering down the fill to help it pack better and keep down the dust.

Then I get he invoice. $347 for that last load of fill. 135 delivery fee, 21 something a yard, . The other place was 220 a load delivered. But who knows as you can see between the 2 companies there yards didn't match, or something.
    Last edited by 92nsx; 04-04-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    j21black likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Then the skies opened up and would not stop raining. In between rains Brad got his forums set. The rear are 20 some inches thick. If you can tell you can see how massively wide the rear footing is due to the depth. I'm might have more photos some where but this is all I can find since my phone went for a 20 foot diving trip last summer in the lake

This photo was on a Tuesday or Wends. and Brad wanted to pour the cement Friday or Saturday, So we covered up the packing so we didn't flood it, plus it would be to wet for it to pack right. I have these large tarps we u over then to run the water into the footing and run out out the back. Kind of like a moat or what ever those diversion water channels are. Worked out pretty good. Once it stops raining Ill finish every thing up

Well Brad calls on Thursday ( the day it stops raining) and says he is pouring tomorrow (Friday) morning. I can get mud (concrete) cheaper so I dont have to pay sat delivary fee, plus he has a couple buddies/labors that can come over and help. I'm freaking out now. I still need to run the packer over it one more time. Get the rebar in, lay down the remesh, tie everything together, and who else knows what.

Between all of this the inspector came out and inspected the slab and gave it thumbs up. Sweet, next time I have to see him is not for a finish/frame inspection. They don't inspect much for a storage "shed". Only wants to see the base/footings and the finished product.

So any ways I skip out of work early and get the packing started. Brad showed up a little latter and once again it was a neighborhood effort. Even one came over and started moving rebar, remesh, cutting , tying, everything together. We finished up about 8 oclock that night. This was a group effort so no was thinking of taking any photos. But I have this one from the end. As you can see the fill got a little to wet in one area.

Last edited by 92nsx; 04-04-2016 at 02:07 PM.
    Slandrew likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Alright on to Friday. I take 1/2 off from work so I can help if needed. Wash out wheel barrels, grab water hose. Get pop / water / beer for the guys. Well shit, they worked like they have to get to the lake and go boating!! Neighbor had to fill me and get me photos . Truck showed up a little before 10ish am, and they were washing there tool off before 11. I got home about 11:10 ish and they pretty much were watching concrete dry / keep it cool and wet. We ordered 20 yards, 2 full trucks. We used about 19 yards of it. The other extra yard or so we used to make the apron/approach for the back service door at the house larger.

Here is the photo I was able to get once home....

I told Brad I wanted smooth finished concrete so I can squeegee out the floor. He said its going to be slippery when wet witch i figured. I just told him do your best.

Here you can get a good feeling for the amount of fill needed and the grade of the back yard, and why it took close to 20 yards of cement.

Here you can see the 1/2 rebar we have in every 4' to tie in the block to the slab

Opps, well the ground was a little wet still from all the rain. The concrete truck left some ruts. But it was all good. We just filled them in with some dirt.

All finished Well he knew his shit, just when, and how long to power trowel, burn and not burn the concrete. I know a photo dose not tell/show grip, but even when my slab is wet it isn't slippery!, and yes it is the easiest squeegeeing floor ever. It is just as smooth as the epoxy in my attached garage. Now that is slippery when wet where this is not!

The black funny pipe on the slab is from fixing/rerouting my sprinkler system. I had to remove a couple of heads and install mister/sprayers on the neighbors side of the shed. With only 6' to water i didn't need it spraying 35 any more. worked out pretty easy. I just ran the funny pipe along the slab where the forum's were and they got covered up when I back filled.

Then after a week or so (I don't remember) I was able to park my (now old) boat on the slab!

ttuton likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Well, boating season started, blew up boat, worked on replacing boat engine, ect. You all know know delays are. Plus after concrete and labor bill, then having to buy a engine. The cash went fast. So it was not till that fall of 15 Kenny and I started on the block ( this is the lowest cost of the entire build. Block was only $1 each. I thought I lost the photos but found them here on PBN.

http://forum.powerboatnation.com/ass...8&d=1447431411

http://forum.powerboatnation.com/ass...8&d=1447431394

Only this time we ran out of material. He need some 6" block for another job and thought we had enough but we were 30-40 block (west wall) short. Then Kenny got super busy with jobs once he started telling people he was retiring! So it would be a wile until he could get back and finish. In the mean time I took a road trip bought my new to me 33 and parked it on the slab for the winter. After it sat there a week or 2 Kenny was able to come over and finish up the block.

http://forum.powerboatnation.com/ass...8&d=1448463743

http://forum.powerboatnation.com/ass...8&d=1448463802

Well cold weather and what not so nothign more happened to the shed. We will resume construction spring 2016

EDIT: now to figure out how to get the photo to chow up and not the web address

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Great write up Rob.

That has happened to me several times the last week or so. I don't think it's operator error, must be something with the site. Flag Admin.
    92nsx likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Alright, well fast forward threw winter of 15-16' to early 16'

Next step was to core fill the block and set in place the anchor bolts so every thing is ties together. Monolithic slab to block via 1/2 re-bar, and the block to the wall via anchor bolts. The "glue" is the concrete core fill mix. Code / inspector wanted them a max of every 6 foot. I went every 4 foot, over kill but I'm here and it won't hurt anything. I have heard stories about people running or backing a car into their garage and pushed the garage off the block/foundation. So every 4 foot it is

This we whipped out on a weekend morning. We carted 1/2 full 5 gal buckets of water from the house to outside and mixed up the mud. Out side water is still off due to freezing concerns. Also to aid in reinforcement, the corners and door openings in the block were core filled back a couple block in those areas. Way over kill but hell I'm here so might as well. For this once again it's over the Kenny's shed to barrow the power hand mixer. (Think of it like a high torque, two handed drill) This was a huge time savor and doesn't splash out as much mud out of the bucket as the one I have.

Let these sit and dry in place until farming time.

Word of wisdom wile setting these bolts. Make sure you set them high enough out of the block....... 2 - 2 1/2" works good. Remember the sill will be a min of 1 1/2" high. Also before there in there rock hard go back and double check they didn't sink. Because it they sink or settle wile drying this is you when walls are placed on top of them and the bolt doesn't stick threw the sill plate.

You will notice a different truck also doing the work now vs the Esky. I bought another truck for pulling and the HD work. We call it farm truck. 1 ton DRW, Turbo diesel.

Last edited by 92nsx; 04-05-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Ignore User
    Rob, you are doing this right! Great work on the slab. Really great. Now, how did the 4 foot spacing on the 1/2 inch rebar work out? If I did that I would end up with rebar being where the block was going, not the hole in the block. I don't care how many times I measured.
    92nsx likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Correct you can measure till you blue in the face and some just wont turn out. Kenny and I did have to notch a couple of the block to make the rebar go threw it. Over all not bad. It took me 10 seconds to notch the block with the gas saw

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Ok now were getting close to current time.

First, time to get estimates on lumber. In the end I went with Simpsons lumber, from recriminations. Well I was not pleased 1 bit with there lumber, more like pissed with there lumber. I don't know how I got such shit lumber, or they pulled a fast one on me. But the 2x4 were all split, chewed up, bark, 1" holes in them. all 3 guys i talked to that use them on a regular were scratching there head, and said no way this is there lumber. The one old timer said reject the load and make them re deliver it. Well too late for that it was already dropped off.

Literally these would have been the shit I threw to the side if I were framing a house back in the day. They bundled it up and sold it to me!!! Ya I called and bitched and got the answer of sorry for the inconveniences, leave the bad ones to the side and we will fully refund you on those. .... Um to late I'm framing tomorrow morning and I don't have time to run out and buy replacements wile i throw the junk aside.

Also order 7 48"x36" Low E windows from them with the lumber/truss order. So far the windows are the only good looking things to come out of them

I had them drop off the roof sheathing and windows in the garage so they stay out of the weather till install time comes. ( Ummmm.. I spy 2 complete 502 mag intake manifold assemblies in the back round)

Also we had to move the garden shed off the slab from winter storage spot. Use the skid steer and lift it up on the snowmobile trailer. Let just say when we move it again, Ill remove the shit from inside of it.

OSHA approved counter weights ?

PBN Original

Ignore User
    Looks great, and best of luck finishing the project. My "Toy Box" is probably one of my favorite investments of all time.

I fully documented my decisions and build process here, before PBN showed up in all of its glory:
    Active Thunder Toy Box is up!!!!
    Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-05-2016 at 02:55 PM.
    92nsx likes this.

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
    Looks great, and best of luck finishing the project. My "Toy Box" is probably one of my favorite investments of all time.

I fully documented my decisions and build process here, before PBN showed up in all of it's glory:
    Active Thunder Toy Box is up!!!!
    Nice Sydwayz! You and Rob have my palms itching to do something like this. I don't need much, just about twice as long and twice as high and twice as wide as I have now. How come 3footitis doesn't apply to sheds?
    hook'em and 92nsx like this.

PBN Original

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    Nice Sydwayz! You and Rob have my palms itching to do something like this. I don't need much, just about twice as long and twice as high and twice as wide as I have now. How come 3footitis doesn't apply to sheds?
    I'm looking at putting a 20x60 lean-to down the side of mine right now. It's best to basically triple whatever space you think you will need. (I used to say double.)
    hook'em and 92nsx like this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
    I'm looking at putting a 20x60 lean-to down the side of mine right now. It's best to basically triple whatever space you think you will need. (I used to say double.)
    There is the 20' wide again. I might regret going with the 22x45 VS the 20x50. We see once it is done and its packed to the rim full of "stuff".

Ignore User
    I think you're good Rob. As long as the boat fits and you have room to work on the drive, width (storage, workbench etc.) is more important that extra length.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Framing day. Not much to talk about besides, measure twice cut once, nail wood together, lift wall in place. Then after you get it all done grab the saz-all and cut out what we messed up on.

But by the time the 3rd wall went up we finally did it correct. HAHA. Na it wasn't that bad, I Just messed up the first 2 window openings. At least we cough it then and not at the end.

Silly seal, opps forgot it on the first (back) wall. But its all good. It's not required I just did it so i knew it was there.

In a different thread some one was asking or saying something about not having treated lumber bottom sill (the 2x6). It is the tag. This new treated is not as green in color like the old stuff. I'm sure some one had butt hurt over the old stuff so they had to change it. Here is the tag I grab off one last night

It was cold at 7 am Sat. so it was ok that the guys were late because I didn't want to even go out there.

By the end of the day 3 walls were framed. We chewed threw the 2x4's and with so many being junk I knew we would be short any ways. Just make a lumber run in the morning.

Last edited by 92nsx; 04-06-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast