Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Building of a boat storage "shed".

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    Your going to be dried in pretty soon. What are you doing to do for siding?
    Standard double 4" vinyl siding like the house, and white aluminum soffit and facia.

I have a buddy still in the business, he is mainly just the General Contractor now but he is checking his job sites to see what he has laying around for free!! So the color is up in the air. Other wise I was thinking of matching the color of the house.

What color do you guys think the siding should be? Roof/shingle color? Match the house or go with a black /dark gray?

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    Match the house.

You may enjoy a dark color roof (they look the best), but my AC bill dropped $100 a month (30%) when we installed a light colored roof. So in Minnesota, you may like the dark color roof!
    hook'em and 92nsx like this.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Definitely match the house, no question.
    ttuton likes this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    Definitely match the house, no question.
    +1... gives a truely finished look to the build and adds $$$ when you go to sell.

I would make adding a premium Ice and Water barrier on your roof sheeting a priority. 7/16 or 1/2" OSB will add tons the the weight of a roof when it starts to swell from water penetration... literally have seen 1/2" swell to 1 1/8" and dripping water. Penny wise/pound foolish owner short cut the prep and upkeep....

Ignore User
    Match the house unless your in Arkansas , should'nt even be a question ... Any place i've been homeowners sheds,kids playhouses even match the home

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BajaDan and 92nsx like this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Well we made a little progress over the weekend. I just couldn't get motivated.

But we were able to finish up the roof sheathing, get the house wrap on, and get the windows in and wrapped. The house wrap was a PITA to install. Windy and the tacker kept jamming up on us. The windows I used a new product to me, it is called flex wrap and is used for the bottom drip cap. Now I couldn't get it on as pretty as they do in the videos, but over all it was super easy to install. Ill get some more photo's tonight. Didn't have my phone on me yesterday so I forgot to take photos.

But here are a few.

Friday after work.

We ran short on H clips and 2 sheets of OSB. So there was a quick run to Menard on Saturday. Got the roof sheathing finished and the house wrap on. So I figured this is a good time to move the boat back home.

Sunday was window install. Pretty straight forward, but no step by step photos

Ignore User
    Rob, you need to make a set of steps coming off the deck directly to the side door of the shed. That way you can come and go without ever hitting the grass.

Looking very good here.
    92nsx likes this.

99 Sonic 31SS

Ignore User
    I was kinda of surprised you didn't install the house wrap when you built the walls. It is much easier to install with the wall laying down. Looks great though! I am very jealous!

PBN User

Ignore User
    NICE shop!
    Really looks good there as it comes together.

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    Well we made a little progress over the weekend. I just couldn't get motivated.

But we were able to finish up the roof sheathing, get the house wrap on, and get the windows in and wrapped. The house wrap was a PITA to install. Windy and the tacker kept jamming up on us. The windows I used a new product to me, it is called flex wrap and is used for the bottom drip cap. Now I couldn't get it on as pretty as they do in the videos, but over all it was super easy to install. Ill get some more photo's tonight. Didn't have my phone on me yesterday so I forgot to take photos.

But here are a few.

Friday after work.

We ran short on H clips and 2 sheets of OSB. So there was a quick run to Menard on Saturday. Got the roof sheathing finished and the house wrap on. So I figured this is a good time to move the boat back home.

Sunday was window install. Pretty straight forward, but no step by step photos

Better get that roof papered , 1 or 2 good rains and gunna look like grandmas washboard

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Rob, you need to make a set of steps coming off the deck directly to the side door of the shed. That way you can come and go without ever hitting the grass.

Looking very good here.
    Could, but the plan is to have a side walk run from the service door on attached garage down to the the service door on the Shed. I already spoke with Brad on it. I want it ground level so the lawn mover can drive right over it. He said no problem.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ttuton View Post
    I was kinda of surprised you didn't install the house wrap when you built the walls. It is much easier to install with the wall laying down. Looks great though! I am very jealous!
    It was just the weight of the walls that was coming into play. That is why we also didn't sheath them on the ground. 45' long wall becomes pretty heavy with 530 sqft of sheathing, 2x4's, nails, ect. Plus the wind was also blowing a little that day and did not want to chance a gust coming along and plowing us right over with the wall.

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by speicher lane View Post
    NICE shop!
    Really looks good there as it comes together.
    Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by RUNNINHOTRACING163.1 View Post
    Better get that roof papered , 1 or 2 good rains and gunna look like grandmas washboard

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yep working on that. Right now I have a few big tarps over it to shed the rain off.

PBN ORIGINAL

Ignore User
    This is a great thread!!!!
    Thanks for posting all the pictures and the updates.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Picked up some more work last night. Some call me cheap ass, I think of it more like wise spending, and having more boat gas. I quoted brick and mortar stores, lumber yards, ect. evey one on roofing material. Buy doing this I saved a little over $9 pr bundle (42 of them) for the same Timberline lifetime architectural shingles by shopping around.

Home depot had the best prices on everything! They have a "Bulk order/buy" that really chopped the price on the shingles. In total with #30 felt (no this #15 here), ice and water, drip edge, ridge vent, shingles, ridge shingles, nails, ect. Everything to cover 1400 sq ft. ( roof is a little over 1300, but i rather have a little extra then run 1 bundle short) .... $1450 ! I didn't think it was that bad at all.

Plus the guys there were really nice and helpfully. I just asked the man in orange that was in the shingle area (Nick). " What the easiest was way to load up 14 sq of shingles and supporting material". He asked me if i had a list. I gave him my H.D. shopping list and he did all the rest!!!, Picked everything, fork lifted and wheeled it all to the cash register, then loaded it in farm truck and the trailer!! I was surprised. I owe him a beer

Now the draw back ...... getting them to the roof. But the skid steer can lift to 10' so Ill come up with something for the last foot and a half. I'm thinking stacking pallets on top of each other then lift some shingles up from there.

Sorry didn't take a photo of the ridge vent but here is what it looks like

All the strap is doing is "making it look good". In all reality it wasn't doing anything.

Use up building material out of the garage............. and just put more back in it's place . Some day the Esky will be able to park back inside. Pretty soon Ill have to put a blue pill on it since it is parked out side a like Platinum's HAHA

Sydwayz likes this.

PBN Original

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post

I'll never forget the first night my stuff was under (my) roof. If you look close, you can see the yellow work light hanging from the rafters. I had my little Honda generator running, and I polished the wheels on my dually around midnight. That moment has stuck with me ever since.
    Name:  303857d1192495672-active-thunder-toy-box-up-toys-.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  95.1 KB
    Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-21-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    J-Bonz and 92nsx like this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    OP, nice shed! I REALLY appreciate your choice of yellow equipment

Quote Originally Posted by j21black View Post
    Rob as far as heat goes, my dad has 3 of these Mr. Heater gas units hanging on the heated side of his barn.....I don't recall the BTU's off hand as we built the barn in the late 90's, but with just the pilot lights burning it seems to keep the barn above freezing in the winter time. Fire all 3 of them up when it is 20 outside and you will be sweating with in a few minutes.

You can see 2 of them in the pic.

Attachment 58946
    I am surprised you don't get plenty of hot-air from those 2 posters above the roof of the truck. lol.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User

Building of a boat storage "shed".

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post

I am surprised you don't get plenty of hot-air from those 2 posters above the roof of the truck. lol.
    There are a lot of things my dad and I don't see eye to eye on. Next time I'll take the pic from a different angle! It is embrassing.
    Last edited by j21black; 04-22-2016 at 01:12 PM.
    Sydwayz, Wasted Income and hook'em like this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Ok, lets see what what happened over this passed weekend.

EDIT: Friday after work we were able to get the gable 2x6 sub facia on. Went pretty easy with 2 guys. Didn't take any in progress photos.

Sat plans: Get materials to the roof and have everything prepped for Shingle Sunday. Weather was awesome on Saturday beside a little windy.

Ice & water, #30 felt paper and drip cap are on

Then Sunday I rounded up the troops and pounded out the shingles. We had 3 coil nailers going, and two feed guys. We even took a 15-20 min break about noon. Rain was coming down to hard. So we went in the garage for a Mt. Dew and to dry off a bit. Start to finish and opening a beer in 3 hours! 10:30 - 1:30. Amanda kept the yard cleaned up of flying shingle bags.

Sunday weather....... Thunderstorms called for all day. it rained all Sunday morning till about 8 am or so, Then the radar showed opening so we were still on for shingling. The rain started back up about 3 or 4 ish.

Next step is to get the 33 and all materials out of the shed, pressure wash the floor clean, spray off the boat, then get the pallet racking up and get the new boat parts and extra material in the shed. This will give me my basement and garage back . #chitiseverywhere.
    Last edited by 92nsx; 04-25-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: forgot Friday info
    Slandrew, hook'em and j21black like this.

Ignore User
    Fantastic Rob. This effort now will give many years of benefits. It is important to remember that when you see KeFurr's pictures running the Mississippi Sound this weekend.
    92nsx and j21black like this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Fantastic Rob. This effort now will give many years of benefits. It is important to remember that when you see KeFurr's pictures running the Mississippi Sound this weekend.
    Thank you Dan. I will keep that in mind Weather in Mn isn't quite boating weather yet at least............ This up coming week weather is projected to only be in the mid to upper 50's with on&off rain showers. April showers brings May flowers.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
    OP, nice shed! I REALLY appreciate your choice of yellow equipment
    Thank you!

It is a learning curve but I'm catching on fast. This is the first skid steer I used with all hand controls. I'm used to bobcats with hand for the drive and feet for the bucket,.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast