Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Building of a boat storage "shed".

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    The back of the slab we have to bring up in layers so it packs as we go. We had to bring it up some 20+ inches if I remember right. Well the first company I had for the fill ... They are now booked and can not get me fill for a couple weeks! Ugh, I want to get this slab done before boating season starts. So I call another place. They say yep, no problem we will send a truck out now and drop it off for you. I ask if I should pay the driver, and she say nope, we will bill/invoice you at the end of the month. Im like sweet, get the shit here!!

Now this is a load of crushed concrete. So either the other were small or this one was huge. It was falling over the sides as he was backing in.

Once again Kenny comes over and moves it all around. I had the easy job. Move the 20' long 2x4 and the level form spot to spot so he could see where to fill in.

Here I'm watering down the fill to help it pack better and keep down the dust.

Then I get he invoice. $347 for that last load of fill. 135 delivery fee, 21 something a yard, . The other place was 220 a load delivered. But who knows as you can see between the 2 companies there yards didn't match, or something.

Depends on hove wet the matl was and how much fines in the load .majority of the weight is in fines but need it for compaction . No heat in the floor ? burning used motor oil is free Heat
    Dont complain about a lil bit of fill BIG Daddy , the kidz needed another building for a welding shop and building model A's this one needed 4 foot of fill we used 100% crushed concrete and compacted in 4" lifts took 1,522 ton and 488 yds of dirt backfill outside of bldg to landscape and grass .... made for a good reason to buy a new Sterling six wheeler for Bill Jr and haul it all ourselves

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    92nsx likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    We talked about in floor heat, but shied away. Especially with the north end of the slab exposed, more landscaping would have been needed. Plus addition of the pink 2" foam sheets are enough to tip any budget. I'll heat it with the same 75,000 BTU NG Direct Vent Garage Heater I have in my attached garage when time comes for heat. I keep my attached garage heated all winter at 73 (75-77 when drinking beer ) with one and only added about $30 to the gas bill a month in the middle of the winter. The shed Ill only keep about 50, and turn it up when needed.

Dam that is a TON of fill you needed!!!. I have been out of the construction game so long I forget the price of every thing.
    Last edited by 92nsx; 04-06-2016 at 02:41 PM.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Well this brings us to Sunday. Todays list is to fix the 2 messed up window openings, get front wall and header board up, and sheath. Like always measure twice, do the math twice, Mike and I come up with the same number. Send Garage door header board home. Then grab saz-all and cut the nails once finished. . Oops we both subtracted for the 2x12 when we didn't need to. So the opening was for a 9' tall door. We cut every thing back out and did it right the second time. 9' door would have worked, but i have my mind made up on 10' tall door. I have the room so its going in.

Roof trusses should be here Thurs or Friday of this week.

Lunch break at 1.

End of day

This photo makes it look like a fortuitous in my back yard.

BajaDan and j21black like this.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Rob as far as heat goes, my dad has 3 of these Mr. Heater gas units hanging on the heated side of his barn.....I don't recall the BTU's off hand as we built the barn in the late 90's, but with just the pilot lights burning it seems to keep the barn above freezing in the winter time. Fire all 3 of them up when it is 20 outside and you will be sweating with in a few minutes.

You can see 2 of them in the pic.

ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1430571693.243497.jpg
    92nsx likes this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Great Job !!! I'm just about ready to do one...What do you think it will cost you when it all done without elect ????
    92nsx likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 41 View Post
    Great Job !!! I'm just about ready to do one...What do you think it will cost you when it all done without elect ????
    All in cost actual $$$$$$ out of my pocket will be around $15K. Right now I'm at $10,372 +/- . That includes aprox $1100 in outside labor/ tips.

Left to buy =
    2x6's for sub facia
    Roofing material (ice/water shield, felt paper, shingles, ridge vent, nails, ect)
    Soffit & facia
    Vinyl Siding ( J channel, sill, corners, starter strip, ect)
    36" Service door
    16x10 insulated garage door (this I will have a heart attach seeing the price)
    Have some one wrap the garage door. I can't find the stuff used on my attached garage. I have looked every where and no luck. It is pre molded in plastic and just pushes over the 2x6.

Over the summer on rainy days if not working on the boat,
    Get the electrical and gas done.
    Figure out how and what lighting I want to use. I really want to go with highbay lighting.

Fall time:
    Insulate
    OSB sheating for the inside
    Last edited by 92nsx; 04-07-2016 at 12:46 PM.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by j21black View Post
    Rob as far as heat goes, my dad has 3 of these Mr. Heater gas units hanging on the heated side of his barn.....I don't recall the BTU's off hand as we built the barn in the late 90's, but with just the pilot lights burning it seems to keep the barn above freezing in the winter time. Fire all 3 of them up when it is 20 outside and you will be sweating with in a few minutes.
    Googleing them now.

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by j21black View Post

You can see 2 of them in the pic.

ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1430571693.243497.jpg
    howz that particle board on the walls ? would'nt it absorb moisture & humiidity or you have dehumidifiers running ? did both in white metal like you did your cieling and nice and brite and easy for the mesicans to wipe down

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    j21black likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Trusses are here. When your ready to order trusses, don't be "brand" loyal or lumber yard loyal. Prices are all over the map for the same thing. I am using just using a standard 4/12 pitch truss, 22' wide. ( I over pd by $300. ) If you have a Menard's close to you they have the best prices out there. I F'ed up and got them threw the lumber yard.

I'm still trying to decide on how big I want the over hangs. They have 2' tails on them. Larger over hangs helps shade the building in the summer and keeps rain run off farther away form it. Just more cost in soffit. The gable ends I will probably go with the standard 12" over hang. But might go a little bigger.

Going to have to do a little yard fix up.

Slandrew likes this.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    You want the largest overhangs possible. Big eves have a ton of benefits.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNNINHOTRACING163.1 View Post
    howz that particle board on the walls ? would'nt it absorb moisture & humiidity or you have dehumidifiers running ? did both in white metal like you did your cieling and nice and brite and easy for the mesicans to wipe down

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No dehumidifiers. It's been up since 1998, no swelling, and is in like new shape at this point.
    92nsx likes this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    MEGA benefit when you have built on a un-heated pad - get all the precip away from the concrete as far as possible... and it looks better IMHO.

What's on your house for overhang(s) - generally, if the house/shop are near each other they are built with the same overhang?

PBN User

Ignore User
    It's hard to tell from the pics but is there plate gasket between your top course of block and the spruce 2x Btm plate?

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    10-4 !

Quote Originally Posted by speicher lane View Post
    MEGA benefit when you have built on a un-heated pad - get all the precip away from the concrete as far as possible... and it looks better IMHO.

What's on your house for overhang(s) - generally, if the house/shop are near each other they are built with the same overhang?
    House has aprox 2' over hang, and 1' over hang on the gable ends. I'll copy the house

Quote Originally Posted by speicher lane View Post
    It's hard to tell from the pics but is there plate gasket between your top course of block and the spruce 2x Btm plate?
    Yep there is sill seal between the block and the bottom plate. All it pretty much is 1/8" thick X 5 1/2" wide low density foam. Once again not required but I put it in there. Bottom plate is just a single treated lumber 2x6's. "Species may vary between Spruce, Pine and Fir " , so its that type HAHA!!

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Well we were at it again this weekend. Chilly and super windy. Perfect construction weather and stand 12' off of the earth

I was hopping to get the roof sheathing done, but the wind was kicking our ass all weekend, so we said fuck it, on Sunday do the sheathing another day. But trusses are set, tails cut and sub facia board is on . Total over hang on the sides is 23.5". Should a efficient use of the soffit since it comes in 12' long sheets.

It was a struggle to get the tails cut. The wind was wiggling the wall and us all day Ya I could spend 2 days throwing up more bracing but, Ill just wait for a calmer day. To cut the tails on the east wall with out it wiggling, I parked farm truck inside and used a strap to/from top plate to truck. worked great!!

Also had to make a Menards run and pick up sub facia boards on Saturday morning. It was crazy in there, never seen it so busy so that chewed up a few hours.

The sheathing alone will be a wind sail trying to get to the roof on a windy day, later this week the weather is warming up and looks like the wind should die down. Enough talk on to photos that we all want.

Beginning Sunday late morning almost lunch.

Farm truck looks little in side! haha

Sydwayz and hook'em like this.

99 Sonic 31SS

Ignore User
    Looking good! I am wanting to build a boat garage in the near future myself. Just curious why you didn't just cut the tails while the trusses were on the ground?
    92nsx likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuton View Post
    Looking good! I am wanting to build a boat garage in the near future myself. Just curious why you didn't just cut the tails while the trusses were on the ground?
    This insured they would be straight. ( well 1 side that is HAHA, dam wind.

When placing trusses I was worried of them being unequal length. But yes could have pulled a measurement from the peak and measured down. Also I was worried if a truss is placed to far to one direction or the other then that one would be to short and the other side would be to long. I'm sure I just over thank it but it worked out ok, hind sight. Nothing wrong with a sawdust-sandwich for a mid afternoon snack

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Just a quick update. We finally had a couple nice days here in MN this week so I was able to move the roof sheathing around. Barrowed the skid steer quick to keep the heavy hauling to a min.

Also took out what was left of the root ball from a tree that was in the way of the shed.

Then after work we pounded out half the roof. Wasn't to bad for a after work project only took about 2 hours. Worked good with 2 people on the ground, pushing the sheathing up the ladder, Then I would grab it a nail the chit the out of it.

And dam it!! I will be 2 sheets short I will have to make a Menards run.

Here is a good trick I came up with. Put the H clips in a coffee can other wise there flying all over the place, push 2 16P nails between the sheets to keep it form sliding off. Plus it doubles as a beer holder!

Last edited by 92nsx; 04-15-2016 at 07:58 AM.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    Your going to be dried in pretty soon. What are you doing to do for siding?
    92nsx likes this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast