• 1 Post By 92nsx
  • 2 Post By Short-Bus
  • 1 Post By brupska
  • 1 Post By BajaDan

Thread: Question about 277 Isladers?

PBN User

Ignore User

Question about 277 Isladers?

I've been wandering if the newer 277 Islanders have offshore engine mounts? I know most Outlaw's have them. My 08 202 Islander doesn't have them either.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    I don't think they do. From what I know you don't really want them.

My understanding of an "offshore" mount is that it is a bridge between two stringers that support the engine. If this is not what you mean then I may be mistaken. I am not aware of them being on Outlaws either. From what I understand, most offshore mounts must be either custom made or custom fitted in each boat as they are not adjustable. This is not a production friendly setup for any manufacturer.

I am not really sure what the advantages of an "offshore" mount might be. It may be that they are more beneficial in stiffening the stringers up than actually being a better engine mount.

Let me know if you find out more.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    As far as "stringers" in the 277, I'm not sure what the Liner looks like in the engine room. I think it's safe to assume "offshore" motor mounts weren't designed with Liner construction in mind.

JB has the sweetest 277 I'm aware of. He'll be back soon and can post pix. Catfish has a sweet 277 and might have a pic to share too.

They're kewl boats IMO but they need a chit ton of power to get much out of the 50's. We had a member bitd Mel who had a built titty bar girl Shannon......I'm sorry, Mel had a nice 277 with a 525. I'm sure they had different mounts, or I'd think anyway.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    This is what I know a offshore engine mount as. No Baja's ever came with them from the factory that I know off. Maybe a 40 outlaw but i doubt it.

And there is no way in hell one would be in a ski boat
    brupska likes this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Thank you for the responses. I know a friend of mine has a 25 outlaw with them from the factory and another friend with a 36 outlaw has them. Now the mounts I am talking about are like a angle iron with several bolts through the side of the stringers cross ways. They also have several bolts on the engine. They are a very solid mount. Not like my 202 Islander with two bolts bolted to the top of each stringer and one large 1 inch or 11/4" bolt up to two bolts to the engine. The reason I am asking this. I want a larger boat so I can go through rough water better. My local lake is fine and all the lakes around us are fine to run in with my 202. Now when we go to Lake Cumberland Poker Run once a year. That water is big. Last year I saw 5 to 6 foot waves and I about broke our 202 in half there!!! UGH

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    That has more to do with the dead rise angle.....or flat bottom in your case.

I believe "through bolted" stringer mounts would be the more proper term for what you want. What do you hear them called SB?
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

F-2 Speed Racer

Ignore User
    this is front and rear off shore mounts, this is my 38 top gun
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kefurr and 92nsx like this.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Thank you very much. The next time I am able to look at another Baja I will take pictures of the engine mounts. Thank you again Brad
    92nsx likes this.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    Standard through bolted stringer mounts on our 252. The rear mounts are the typical Bravo system which attaches to the transom plate. SB's example (front and rear mounts) would be for an engine using a transmission with a jackshaft to the drive. The universal joints on the driveshaft would eliminate the need for perfect alignment with the outdrive which a plug in Bravo system requires.

IMG_4791.jpg
    92nsx likes this.