Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By hook'em
  • 2 Post By Kefurr
  • 1 Post By jakerusso45

Thread: Looking at 1998 33 outlaw

PBN User

Ignore User

Looking at 1998 33 outlaw

I'm interested in 1998 33 outlaw as a project boat and wanted to get your guys opinion on it. It's missing the rear hatch, swim deck, and most of the cabin interior. The owner thinks it was stolen at one point and he bought it how it is now so doesn't know much. He's asking $14,500 which it's obviously pretty low but I have no clue where to find another hatch nor how much it's going to cost for one. Probably going to look at it next week but wanted to get some info because I don't know anything about these boats. Thanks for the help in advance.

His description:
    1998 Baja 33 outlaw project boat. Hull and gel coat in good shape needs to be buffed. Twin 454's with bravo 1's. Brand new tires on 3 axle trailer. Needs to be finished. Lost storage need to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    If the idea is to make it into a boat you're going to use I'd run from this. For half what it will cost to even get close to refurbished and reliable you could buy a nice 33.

You're going to run into hard times finding OEM replacement parts. You're going to have gremlins in EVERY system on board. There are 100's of hours of work/labor there. The engine room has been raped, those engines aren't OEM. Plus it may have rot problems or have even been underwater. Thinking maybe even a Hurricane Sandy rig that's been stripped of all the parts that would bring quick cash.

There's my opinion, it's worth what you paid for it ( my opinion that is) Good luck.
    Kefurr and 92nsx like this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

PBN User

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    If the idea is to make it into a boat you're going to use I'd run from this. For half what it will cost to even get close to refurbished and reliable you could buy a nice 33.

You're going to run into hard times finding OEM replacement parts. You're going to have gremlins in EVERY system on board. There are 100's of hours of work/labor there. The engine room has been raped, those engines aren't OEM. Plus it may have rot problems or have even been underwater. Thinking maybe even a Hurricane Sandy rig that's been stripped of all the parts that would bring quick cash.

There's my opinion, it's worth what you paid for it ( my opinion that is) Good luck.
    Yes the plan would be to use it not part it out. I saw the price and that it was somewhat local so figured maybe it's worth a shot but that's why I'm asking. Thank you for the response!

Bayou Baja / Boss 272

Ignore User
    I'm with Hook'em
    You find problems you never dreamed of before that boat see's water.
    Engines, who knows but those do not look to be 98 vintage.
    Swim platform and engine cover? RockRobster can jump in but I'd say just those two would 7000 on the low side
    Price of the trailer and part the boat out
    92nsx and MillerTime like this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Swim platform. Well you just have to search for one. They pop up from time to time. GLS used to have new old stock ones for $1400-2000 but they are all sold out last I saw. One nice thing as Dave told me. He let engineers change the style of them, he just made sure to keep the same bolt pattern. . There are a few places out there that will make one for you like Replacement aluminum swim platforms manufactured on the same jigs we used for the factory and designedspecifically for your baja* boat. Perfect for your baja outlaw, baja force, baja caliber and baja sport! that made them in the past.

The engine hatch you will not find. Trust me, I tried finding one my self. I had a basic burnt out shape of my old one and was over 1K$+ to re fiberglass. ( The guy at least had something to work from). So unless your good with fiberglass and making parts plan on 2-3K for just the tray alone I would suspect. Then 2k+ on vinyl work.

New interior. As Dave told you on FB, $15K .

Indicator cables I see are missing.... Those are a PITA to pull with out the old ones in place to use a pull string.

No hydraulic steering That means it came stripped down / no options, low power boat when it left Bucyrus Oh.

So It all comes down to what you want for a 20 year old boat project. Me personally, add up what value there is in used parts and trailer (hull is worthless) and start there.

But It can be done. XT in Ohio Is currently rebuilding a 33 for a customer form the ground up, even added the 35's notched transom and higher "X". Excellent work as I have seen it first hand. That tally is over 100k Im willing to put a Saturdays night bar tab on.

Or are you planning a poker run/ race / stripped down go fast boat? Then fuck it, Rip every thing out and make it as light as you can.

PBN User

Ignore User
    Honestly didn't really have a plan for it just wanted to see if it would be some what practical to put it back together. From the sounds of it that's not really an option anymore haha. Thanks for the help guys!

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerusso45 View Post
    just wanted to see if it would be some what practical to put it back together.
    The cartel is always looking for a boat & driver It could be paying you and live where the snow don't fly

PBN User

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    The cartel is always looking for a boat & driver It could be paying you and live where the snow don't fly
    Best thing I've read all week

92nsx likes this.