Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 23 Outlaw - Hit rocks - Prop damaged

2005 Baja 23 Outlaw

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by lchauvin88 View Post
    Sounds like what I need but I don't think I have enough motor for a 24p. Going to look at a 22p for mine like Dan had mentioned.
    It's better suited for the extra power of the 496HO, hence why I can only turn it to 4600 RPM. BBlades could take some pitch out of it, maybe thin the blades a touch to make the RPM and speed come up. At this time, I don't see the need to alter it. WOT isn't common for me. All the gains made it a worthwhile upgrade, and I would make it again.
    hook'em likes this.

03 Baja Islander 242

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
    It's better suited for the extra power of the 496HO, hence why I can only turn it to 4600 RPM. BBlades could take some pitch out of it, maybe thin the blades a touch to make the RPM and speed come up. At this time, I don't see the need to alter it. WOT isn't common for me. All the gains made it a worthwhile upgrade, and I would make it again.
    Yea I only have the mag. Right now I can turn every bit of rpm to the rev limiter. I typically run 3-4k rpm cruise and pulling the tube. Although I was told a 4blade would get the bow further up out the water when trimmed compared to a 3blade. Youre getting less? Or do you mean just during planing. I have a boat load of bow rise during planing.

2005 Baja 23 Outlaw

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by lchauvin88 View Post
    Yea I only have the mag. Right now I can turn every bit of rpm to the rev limiter. I typically run 3-4k rpm cruise and pulling the tube. Although I was told a 4blade would get the bow further up out the water when trimmed compared to a 3blade. Youre getting less? Or do you mean just during planing. I have a boat load of bow rise during planing.
    When I tried to get on plane with the 3 blade, the bow shot to the moon unless I ran the trim tabs all the way down to assist. However, even with the tabs fully up, the 4 blade doesn't rise that high, planes far better/easier/faster, and the bow doesn't rise out of the water as much with the 4 blade where I normally trim for best efficiency. Cruise at 3500 RPM is about 45-46 MPH. Prior, it was 40-41 mph.

Now, my only true complaint about this boat is draft depth. IT SUCKS! Even with the trim all the way in trailer mode, I get stuck where other boats cruise right by. Don't even think about trying to get on plane in water less than 4' deep. The damn outdrive will drag in the sand.
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 08-21-2017 at 12:58 PM.

03 Baja Islander 242

Ignore User
    When I tried to get on plane with the 3 blade, the bow shot to the moon unless I ran the trim tabs all the way down to assist. However, even with the tabs fully up, the 4 blade doesn't rise that high, planes far better/easier/faster, and the nose doesn't rise out of the water as much with the 4 blade where I normally trim for best efficiency. Cruise at 3500 RPM is about 45-46 MPH. Prior, it was 40-41 mph.

Now, my only true complaint about this boat is draft depth. IT SUCKS! Even with the trim all the way in trailer mode, I get stuck where other boats cruise right by. Don't even think about trying to get on plane in water less than 4' deep. The damn outdrive will drag in the sand.
    Ah ok yea mine noses real high to plane. I never thought of tabbing down to help plane will have to try that next time I'm out. I have planed mine in 2.5' or so the depth finder claimed. I agree the draft sucks on these boats. Thats really the only complaint I have.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Always use full tab to plane the boat in shallow water. Add a foot to the published draft for safe planning water.
    lchauvin88 likes this.

03 Baja Islander 242

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    Always use full tab to plane the boat in shallow water. Add a foot to the published draft for safe planning water.
    I'll keep that in mind. I've said it before. You guys are the best. Teaching the newb how to boat.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    Stern drives are going to draw a lot of water. Really deep vee boats like ours, plus a stern drive, draws as much as a large inboard sport fisher, perhaps more. So yes, we have that limitation, particularly compared to an outboard boat or a more typical outboard powered shallow vee bay boat where the engine can be trimmed to the waters surface. On the other hand, we can ride more comfortably in much rougher water in our smaller length boats than just about anything else out there. Everything is a compromise.

2005 Baja 23 Outlaw

Ignore User
    In Destin @ Crab Island, unless you go all the way around to stay in deeper water, you have to idle about 1/2 mile before the water is deep enough to get on plane.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    There's a Channel running close to the barrier island. We ran into Destin in the ICW from the west and were able to run right up on crab island. I think we ran that same water on our return trip to Orange Beach.

Boatless

Ignore User
    Oops....Wrong thread
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by emilsr; 08-22-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    BajaDan and 92nsx like this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    ^^^^ That would be a big rock the 23 hit. But I think falling off the cliff did more damage, HAHAHAHAHAHA
    UnleashedBeast likes this.

2005 Baja 23 Outlaw

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by emilsr View Post
    Oops....Wrong thread
    That happened here in Pensacola around 2014. 28" of rain in 24 hours overwhelmed our roads. The cliffs by the bay started caving in, taking roads with it. Even foundations under homes were washed away, making the house foundation break and cave in.

Click this LINK to see pictures.
    emilsr likes this.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    That was a wild event. Boats were floating off lifts all over the place. A friend of a friend had a boat float off the lift, get caught in the tide, get sucked out Perdido Pass, get deposited on a beach (oddly enough one they frequent) and sat there waiting for him to come get it, all without a scratch. Missed bridges, rock jettys, other boats, sea walls etc.

2005 Baja 23 Outlaw

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    That was a wild event. Boats were floating off lifts all over the place. A friend of a friend had a boat float off the lift, get caught in the tide, get sucked out Perdido Pass, get deposited on a beach (oddly enough one they frequent) and sat there waiting for him to come get it, all without a scratch. Missed bridges, rock jettys, other boats, sea walls etc.
    I bet he is thankful the current flowed away from all of the obstacles that would have destroyed his boat.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    I remember you telling us about that when it happened. I think it was 2012 when I first towed down there and the water was up to the bottom of the cab of the Dirtymax on Marina road. Water was ripping out the Perdido pass. 6 foot standing waves

Edit: I'm afraid Texas is going to look like that and worse after Harvey has his way. This could be really bad. The storm is going ashore With no upper level steering current. Expected to camp out 100 miles or so inland while its still sucking tropical moisture from the gulf. Estimated to be a Cat 3 at land fall and still be healthy into Tuesday. 5 days almost stationary. It may even drift back out over the gulf and make another run at the Republic. The eye wall just became really defined at the most current update. He's ginnin up.
    Last edited by hook'em; 08-24-2017 at 07:58 AM.

2005 Baja 23 Outlaw

Ignore User
    Had the Mirage 23P repaired. Technician said his standards for tolerances are a lot tighter than OEM. Each blade is much closer to each other than original.

Before
    Name:  Prop Before.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  177.5 KB

After
    Name:  Prop After.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  185.0 KB
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 09-01-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    BajaDan likes this.

2005 Baja 23 Outlaw

Ignore User
    Now that I prefer the Bravo 1, no need to keep the Mirage 23P. What's it worth to sell?
    Looks good. What minor damage it had is gone.

Name:  ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1504295411.657089.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  852.7 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByPowerboat Nation1504295425.321794.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  793.3 KB
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 09-01-2017 at 01:04 PM.

2005 Baja 23 Outlaw

Ignore User

23 Outlaw - Hit rocks - Prop damaged

I may keep the Mirage after all. If I trade up for a larger boat, the Bravo seems to be more valuable (desired) on the market.
    BajaDan likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2