Page 1599 of 1697 FirstFirst ... 599 1099 1499 1549 1589 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1609 1649 ... LastLast
Results 31,961 to 31,980 of 33933
Like Tree24316Likes

Thread: TBM Refugees

03 Baja Islander 242

Ignore User
    I'll just throw my two cents in for perspective, mind you the diesels I service are massive and requires lots of heating, and circulation pumping.

Typically, they have a 1500-3500kw element. Much larger than the one in a 6.7 but also, the engines are massive, 645-710" per cylinder. The heaters have temp switches for element only, the pumps run constantly. They maintain 80-120* depending on model. These units have to be ready to rock almost instantly, so heaters stay on year round. And believe me, they make a world of difference, even in summer time warm up is faster, less emissions production, throttle up response is night and day.

The block Heater is just radiant, so I wouldn't expect it to move the temp gauge, rather just warm the coolant. Now, if you had a circulation pump, I'd expect that the coolant would be hot all over and you'd notice the gauge move. On my 7.3, the truck started heated or not in the cold. I could tell the difference with heater plugged in because it idled smoother and Heater in cabin output was warm on start up, which is great because I strongly dislike the cold. My rule of thumb on the 7.3 and the 6.0 I had was 40* outside or below i plugged it in. Not that it necessary to start when Cold, but just to have a warm Heater for me when id leave the driveway.

Of course my engines were dinosaurs compared to the 6.7 that is out today.

As for the boat name. Heck, I think CYHMN is probably the coolest story behind a name Ive heard. Mine will probably come to me in time i suppose, Im in no rush. Cold weather is here and Im back to tinkering in Parts purchase for my Mustang. This will not be a racecar thing again, I learned that lesson. Just puddle around and see how quick i can run it in the 1/4 for $1k in Parts or less. My friends all have stangs and are bad influences. But what are friends for?

Going do some CNC work today you fellas Take care. See you on boatfreaks when i get time.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    My understanding is similar to Rob. Just “keeps it warm” if you will.

Guys on Facebook are putting timers on there’s since it 1000 Watts. If they leave at 6am have it kick on a 3am or 4am, basically along those lines. I thought about plugging mine up only because it sits, and that’s why I brought it up the other day.

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by j21black View Post
    My understanding is similar to Rob. Just “keeps it warm” if you will.

Guys on Facebook are putting timers on there’s since it 1000 Watts. If they leave at 6am have it kick on a 3am or 4am, basically along those lines. I thought about plugging mine up only because it sits, and that’s why I brought it up the other day.
    JB, the manual says anything over 3 hours is just wasting electricity. It is as warm as it's going to get in that time.

Leroy, these new trucks have a "Supplemental Heat" option. Do not buy a diesel truck without it. It requires a high output (or dual) alternator to run. It is basically a resistance heater in line with the engine coolant heater. I have heat by the end of the driveway. The engine takes 7 miles or about 10 minutes to get warm enough to start sharing heat. It is the best diesel truck option out there IMO.

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post

Don't be mad Lt. we are always stronger as a team.
    Absolutely correct! I drink and you buy. A perfect team.
    hook'em likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    There is also a DEF heater I found out last night. Jeff's 2015' F250 was just in for more warranty work . New water pump and new DEF heater

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    There is also a DEF heater I found out last night. Jeff's 2015' F250 was just in for more warranty work . New water pump and new DEF heater
    Yeah. As soon as mine goes, it will be time to delete.

Dan, I have the HD/HO alternator, guess I have that supplemental heater deal. Probably standard on our packages.
    BajaDan and 92nsx like this.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Well, I don't see it listed on the sticker....

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by j21black View Post
    Well, I don't see it listed on the sticker....
    You've got it. Perhaps they made it standard.

03 Baja Islander 242

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post

Leroy, these new trucks have a "Supplemental Heat" option. Do not buy a diesel truck without it. It requires a high output (or dual) alternator to run. It is basically a resistance heater in line with the engine coolant heater. I have heat by the end of the driveway. The engine takes 7 miles or about 10 minutes to get warm enough to start sharing heat. It is the best diesel truck option out there IMO.
    That is cool. My uncle Ken had a Bmw z3 had that electric Heater in it aswell. I dont recall the year late 90s or early 00s.

As much as id like a new diesel truck, a few factors just wont make sense for me. I have a company truck so the new rig would just do alot of sitting around, and with todays fuel systems and tolerances, Man i just think its Going to gum up and cost me some serious money to repair it. The next being the cost. Id priced a new 17 250 xl 6.7psd xcab 4wd add leather add nav and it was near 55k. Thats a helluva lotta dough for a base model rig. Those factors Just dont make smart Financial sense for me. If i drove everyday id say it was worth it. But weekend only, cant justify the cost, at least not on my Pay scale.

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by lchauvin88 View Post
    Thats a helluva lotta dough for a base model rig. Those factors Just dont make smart Financial sense for me.
    Only a very special set of circumstances made it possible for me. If I had a company vehicle, I would not have this truck.
    lchauvin88 likes this.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Mine has sat for the better part of 2 years - No big deal - I put archoil in it with every fill up, and try to run a tank of fuel through it every 6 weeks or so.

Zero problems with doing it that way. You aren't going to have any gumming up problems with clean fuel and a good additive.

Now from a financial standpoint, it's a completely different discussion depending on where you sit. Mine stickered somewhere around 67-68, got it for 54 and change. Almost 3 years old and blue book is still hovering at the 50k mark, and I see them selling on-line for that, Platinums at least are. I'm OK with that.....
    Last edited by j21black; 01-05-2018 at 09:19 AM.

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    And I'd go buy a brand new F450 tomorrow, (because why not) if I could talk the old lady into it.....

Ignore User
    Hey guys, particularly you Yankees, have you ever had any experiences with a free standing wood burning fireplace (or stove)? I was looking at these and thought it might be a good option as a retrofit. We like our fires.

Name:  Osburn 2200.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  69.7 KB

2007 277 Baja Islander

Ignore User
    Name:  DCJB.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  150.1 KB
    hook'em and BajaDan like this.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    My dad put a old school (no sexy winders) pot belly stove in the shop (40x80) at the ranch in Saint Jo. It's a dayum site colder up there, just over an hour NW, than here. The building had spray on insulation and it would keep it warm enough to sleep in there in "pop up" campers with screen Windows during deer season, lows in mid to low 20's.

My grandparents had a fancy one with built in blower and they'd heat the whole hose with that stove. I'd say go for it.
    BajaDan likes this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    Dan....my mom has a stove similar and uses it to heat her roughly 2,000 sqft house. You might want a oil base board heater or some other electric heater in remote rooms though.
    Mom's has a fan that blows air around a cavity on the side, and produces hot air blowing out. It will burn you out when stoked up, but you will also get alot of dust in the house.
    Also, you wont want that much glass unless u only use it once or twice a year. I think my mom's stove has a 6"x12" window in the door and you cant see a thing thru it anymore. But she has it in use constantly for heat over the past 27ish years.
    BajaDan likes this.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    What's your name Miller? If you told me already I forgot. Hope you'll continue to contribute to the refugee thread, here and there. It's gaining momentum at BF but we'll be here till they kick us out. Hell, JB just got a new T shirt.

We need to hunt down "kid turbo" Ken and see what ever happened to the Outlaw/Duramax project before we lose track. Is he posting on that build at OSO?
    92nsx likes this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    On the diesel plug in question....im not sure on the new psd, but my old 7.3 i had 10 years ago, id plug it in if it was about 35° or lower.
    On my 2005 duramax, id do the same if i could. I never had any problems if i didnt, but it helped warm it up. On the 05 dmax, when you started it after being plugged in , the temp guage would be around 150°.
    On my 15 duramax i dont know if i ever plugged it in. It stayed in the garage and the garage never got below 35°. The newer duramax's have something that heats them to temperature quicker now. I heard it loads the torque converter or something to help engine reach temp quicker, but that may not be accurate. I do know that my temp would be up to around 210° after i drove it a mile, and my 05 duramax would never hit that unless i was towing heavy or it was the middle of the summer.
    Also, i think on the dmax its a coolant heater instead of a block heater (could be wrong) i know the 7.3 has something that screwed into the block and then wire harness cord attached to it that had the male 120v plug on it.
    I had a magnetic block heater that i use to stick on my hydraulic tank or engines on my machines (bobcats/ skid steers, tractors and such). U couldn't hardly crank the bobcats with really cold hydraulic fluid just cause it was turning a pump of gelatin. Block heater made a world of difference!

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    What's your name Miller? If you told me already I forgot. Hope you'll continue to contribute to the refugee thread, here and there. It's gaining momentum at BF but we'll be here till they kick us out. Hell, JB just got a new T shirt.

We need to hunt down "kid turbo" Ken and see what ever happened to the Outlaw/Duramax project before we lose track. Is he posting on that build at OSO?
    Luke Miller. Everyone is my father...lol!
    I need to get your number sometime, i might need something shipped some day.
    Im working on getting a used car license, so i might be moving more cars if i get approved.
    hook'em and 92nsx like this.

Advantage Victory 28 BR

Ignore User
    Hook...ill get over there on bf and get an account, maybe this weekend.
    Im probably going to have to get a fb and twitter account if my car deal goes thru, but i might have someone else do that crap for me.