Page 1566 of 1570 FirstFirst ... 566 1066 1466 1516 1556 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 ... LastLast
Results 31,301 to 31,320 of 31389
Like Tree22064Likes

Thread: TBM Refugees

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Him and Matt have been on hitaus.

But I did see this today. 12k for both. Both run
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TBM Refugees-1510686572213.jpg  

"Tinker Toy" - Baja 252 Islander

Ignore User
    Get back on topic.

I'm not talking about 6" chop here or a small wake from a planning boat (particularly one running the same direction as you).

Give me the pearls of your wisdom.

Hey, but that is a good video.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Cap Kefurr is the man to reply. He's got more big water under his bottom than the rest of us combined.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Badges?.......We Don't Need No Stinkin Badges........

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Those motors are interesting Rock. What's the class think about them being submerged?
    92nsx likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

F-2 Speed Racer

Ignore User
    I wouldnt touch em ^^^^^

Edit: Views: 1,000,022.............take a bow, well done
    Last edited by Short-Bus; 1 Week Ago at 06:02 PM.
    hook'em, emilsr, Kefurr and 1 others like this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    When they want $5000 for a blown 502 mag and $6000 for a blown 496, $2000 for a 502 block, $4000 for 1000 hr 7.4's ...... Those are better then blown engines. They at least run. Engine prices are out thou the roof right now. Plus they come out of good shop, Jeff Harris's All of a sudden $6000 EA. for a 160 hour 380 HP engine isn't bad/

Shit I'm ready to buy Mrec 6.2's to put in the 33. Just so I'm on the water next year.

This 502 mpi I PD $1500 for it back in 2014. Fortune would have it 2 months later I blew the 502 in my first Baja

TBM Refugees-20150630_204715_zps9hx1grq2.jpg

TBM Refugees-20150630_175312_zpsbpcjvusx.jpg

And yes the old 1994, 502 MPI failed the exact same cylinder ( Head gaskets on the 94 I replace the off season before with MLS) as mine that I took out of the 33. Both at 530 hrs. Only On the 2000 502 I cough it before the chunk broke off and was in a bouncy house

TBM Refugees-20150702_203529_zpsydmcisir.jpg

F-2 Speed Racer

Ignore User
    Rob, I would bet those bobber engines will nickel and dine the next owner to death, cant imagine what mercury would charge for new sensors, wiring harnesses, ecm's, plus the cat's ???............they need to be pulled apart, cleaned and reassembled imo..........when you spin a bearing or when things start corroding it will be a pita to trouble shoot.

Ignore User
    On those engines it all comes down to how long they were in the water and how long after that they were dried out and run.

I have seen two engines completely submerged (two different boats) that were recovered (underwater for a day) and had the fluids changed (almost immediately), run, fluids changed, repeat about 3 times. Those engines are running great many years later.

In fresh water I would not be so concerned about the sensors. Certainly all the electrical connectors would need to be disconnected and dried, cleaned and sprayed or coated with dielectric grease, but the sensors themselves are going to be sealed. This assumes the boat was not sunk in Lake Superior.

JB is right there Rob. Perhaps he will go take a look for you. At least pull a dipstick and oil cap and see if there is any evidence of water vapor. I would imagine that the shop would also be willing to pull the pans and a valve cover for inspection. If there is surface rust in there anywhere, the engines probably were not cleaned in time.

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    And yes the old 1994, 502 MPI failed the exact same cylinder ( Head gaskets on the 94 I replace the off season before with MLS) as mine that I took out of the 33. Both at 530 hrs. Only On the 2000 502 I cough it before the chunk broke off and was in a bouncy house
    KeFurr, how many hours on yours with the loose valve seat? I don't count the leaking oil cooler as an engine failure, more like a godsend in your instance (although I realize it did not feel that way at the time).

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    Mine broke a head gasket at a shade over 500 hrs also. But the top end was off and refreshed at 400 ish. so that wasn't the factory installed gasket. Just got lucky it didn't hurt the motor when it locked up/hydro locked.
    92nsx likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    Mine broke a head gasket at a shade over 500 hrs also. But the top end was off and refreshed at 400 ish. so that wasn't the factory installed gasket. Just got lucky it didn't hurt the motor when it locked up/hydro locked.
    Those bores in the 502 are right on the limit aren't they?

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    One of my sleds (red one) has spent the night under water, and still driving it to this day. ( took all summer plus some to dry out the seat tho) Different strokes for different folks.

TBM Refugees-1487311874555.jpg

Actually just got off the phone and a Local guy is hammering out a deal on those motors as we speak, so 6.2's might become a real option.

6.2's small blocks in a 33. I dont think any one has done that before I wonder how the 6.2's would be in the 33? Weak sauce on the torque but same HP as the 7.4's. But loosing 400 lbs's Ill be a slow guy once again. At least the small block burn less fuel.

He has the need for speed, I have the need to get back on the water on a budget. Coming out of a challenger 31 or 33
    Last edited by 92nsx; 1 Week Ago at 08:22 AM.

Ignore User

He has the need for speed, I have the need to get back on the water on a budget. Coming out of a challenger 33
    Surely you can do one 502 for less than purchasing two 6.2's?

The 6.2 is a good engine but I can't help but feel you would miss the 502.
    hook'em likes this.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    The 6.2 I was aboard ran really good. Torque didn't seem to be a problem AT ALL but..........I'm sure it was prop related as the WFO wasn't impressive. To be fair this was a 28' big heavy deep V bottom fishing boat and a single engine Bravo drive. 5 full grown men and at least a 150-200 gallon bait well, tackle, two fish boxes full of ice and about 3 cases of beer. She would walk right on plane but I doubt she ran over 50. What's the fuel flow meter say Rob, 377 v 502? I bet it's not THAT much difference especially taking into account pushing harder to keep up.

Yes sir Lt. Those bores are close/gasket is skinny. "Old Mark" at Plano Marine is a great wrench and the gen VI is right in his wheel house. He was a walking fact book for my motor and he liked me so he rattled all I'd listen....and I listened. I took the boat to him after the cluster fuck over at Shooters/N Texas Marine Ft. Worth.....That time....when you paid a fat "repair" bill....at a professional Mercury dealer/shop.....and took the boat all the way home only to have it hydro locked the whole time....... Mark called and had me come over when he got it torn down and he showed me exactly where the water "traced" and completely explained WTF happened. Sent me on my way with a strong "cross your fingers" alert. As it turned out I got the "livin right" reward as the motor wasn't hurt at all....he said that isn't the norm and in fact rarely happens.
    BajaDan likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

2009 Baja 277 Islander

Ignore User
    I gotta know...what was the clusterfuck over at Shooters/N Texas Marine Ft. Worth?

29 outlaw

Ignore User
    Him and Matt have been on hitaus.

But I did see this today. 12k for both. Both run
    At lease there deep water tested
    Kefurr and 92nsx like this.

Boss 272/502

Ignore User
    He kindly offered his retired services/free labor. I was intrigued to meet him (before he really lost it with the crazy deep night posts) and took the boat to his "shop." I stayed there while he fiddle fucked around a couple of hours, didn't really do anything. He called "his buddy" at NTX Marine (big ass operation) and then sent me over there. They kept the boat for over a week and changed parts it prolly didn't need (IAC, VST parts etc) other than the starter.

When I picked it up I got this rah rah story about how it "sounds so bad ass it stopped the whole shop down" when they fired it up. Lead me to believe they actually fixed it because that's how I knew she still wasn't right...she was just kinda "bubbling" to life as opposed to the huge explosion that she normally does on startup. Pulled all the way back to Wylie (long way) to the ramp and she was locked up tight. Hydro locked. Wouldn't turn over. Took it to Mark who quickly diagnosed and fixed it.

The clip on technicians at NTX obviously got water out of the motor, put plugs in it, cranked it up and called it fixed...fuggin idiots. As soon as they shut her down she was hydro locked again because of the broken gasket. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: Bubbling to life....you know, like Matt and Lt. Dans boats sound on start up. CYHMN goes BOOM when she lights off.
    Last edited by hook'em; 1 Week Ago at 11:21 AM.
    BajaDan likes this.
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    Can Ya Hear Me Now

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by hook'em View Post
    The 6.2 I was aboard ran really good. Torque didn't seem to be a problem AT ALL but..........I'm sure it was prop related as the WFO wasn't impressive. To be fair this was a 28' big heavy deep V bottom fishing boat and a single engine Bravo drive. 5 full grown men and at least a 150-200 gallon bait well, tackle, two fish boxes full of ice and about 3 cases of beer. She would walk right on plane but I doubt she ran over 50. What's the fuel flow meter say Rob, 377 v 502? I bet it's not THAT much difference especially taking into account pushing harder to keep up.
    24 GPH on the 6.2 and 35 GPH on 502 depending on what publication you read. Pr engine.
    4k rpm = 14 GPH on 6.2 . ... . 3500 RPM =17 GPH on 502

I swore James fuel gauge was broken and was full of shit when he told me he dosn't burn that much fuel on a weekend. .... Till I saw the 6.2's under his hatch at the marina.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaDan View Post
    Surely you can do one 502 for less than purchasing two 6.2's?

The 6.2 is a good engine but I can't help but feel you would miss the 502.
    Of course I would miss the 502's. I would not get rid of them, this would just buy me more time to get them rebuilt.

Right now what Im seeing blown up 502 = $5000!!! Good one running low hour = $14,000!!!, Gen 5, 500 hr = $8000! Yes there on crack. But that is all that is out there currently that I'm finding. New long block = $7200, rebuild mine = $5k.

The 6.2's I can get for $4-5k for both. Then if I don't blow them up, they can be resold once 502's are ready.
    Last edited by 92nsx; 1 Week Ago at 11:23 AM.

Ignore User
    The 6.2's I can get for $4-5k for both. Then if I don't blow them up, they can be resold once 502's are ready.
    Kind of a no brainer then isn't it?

Oh wait. If that's the case then they would be perfect for Hook!
    hook'em likes this.

33 Outlaw, 502 Mag's

Ignore User
    Maybe the 6.2's will be quieter also so I dont get exhaust tickets? Bahahaha. Be the only 6.2 boat out there with external hydraulic steering that only dose 50 mph